Macbook not able to save files on desktop after installing new Office 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newest4u, Dec 15, 2009.

1. newest4u macrumors newbie

Help! I've been trying for hours and cannot fix it. I recently installed Office 2008 and since then I cannot save documents on my desktop. Also I cannot download software because it keep saying that the memory is full or "I don't have permission" to do so. I tried to reset the permissions in utilities, but that didn't work. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

When you say the permission repair didn't work, do you mean that it failed or that it completed with no errors?

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Can you save/write/copy anything to the Desktop? How about to any other folder on the computer? It could just be that your Desktop folder is locked, though I don't know how installing Office 2008 would have caused it...

4. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Did you run the Office 2008 updates? There are several of them, which you need to trigger by opening up an Office app, then the Help menu, then Check For Updates. One of these updates came after Snow Leopard's release.

I'm not saying this is the issue, but it sounds like an annoying problem.

5. coops macrumors regular

I've had a similar issue with a fairly large document with lots of bulleting and formatting etc... couldn't save it as .doc at all - BUT try saving it as a docx file..... if it works (like mine) then you'll probably find you can reopen it and then save it as standard doc format.

Coops