Macbook not automatically reconnecting after sleep/shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macsforcollege?, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

just got my macbook yesterday. When i close the macbook and open it, even a minute later it wuld lose internet connection and i had to reenter everything. it also happend after shutdown. but then last night, it started to reconnect by itself. when i turned it on this morning it took 5 seconds and connected... is it suppose to do that? then i left it for work, put it to sleep and when i opened it, it reconnected.. is something wrong? and is there any way to keep it connected cause i like to leave AIM on.
    Thanks

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

When you shut the lid to the screen, the computer goes to sleep, and there is no built in option to change this, there might be a code that you could plug into terminal or whatever the app is called, but there isn't anything that you can do in means of options to keep the computer awake when closing the lid. When the computer goes to sleep, it automatically disconnects from the network, and the computer is practically shut down.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

1) It's normal for your computer to go to sleep (immediately) when you close it. Sleep is supposed to cause it to disconnect from the network, but it should be automatically reconnecting without requiring you to do anything.

2) You can disable sleep when you close the Macbook using a variety of third party programs (which would allow it to stay connected to AIM). This carries dangers, though, and you should understand them before you do it. Here's one example:

http://www.alxsoft.com/mac/sleepless.html

There are some other threads on this issue of your Mac not reconnecting to networks generally; if you can't find them by searching, I can try to search for you. It should not be requiring you to enter your network password or select the network manually when you wake it up.

4. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

First-thats weird. i put in a differnt title for the thread. guess a mod changed it..

2nd- thanks for your replies... so its working correctly.. but, why was it disconnecting yesterday several times and i had to reenter the password for the network and such? then it finally started doing it by itself? i know it gave me the save password option and i clicked it.. but idk it didnt work then and now it works... should i be concerned or was it not registering the "save password"???

and if i kept the lid open. would it still go to sleep and disconnect from the network??? i like having aim/msn messenger connected but its not that big of a deal..

Thanks

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

You can make it not go to sleep when keeping the lid open by going to System Preferences>Energy Saver>and then switch the "Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for:" never, make sure that you do this for the right power settings (power adapter or battery).

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, I did. Please use informative thread titles.

7. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

ok sorry.

what about it making me put the password in several times and it not connecting by itself several times yesterday??.. could that be a problem??? i have an appt with apple but im not sure if i need to go.. i checked save password but it never worked the first few times... now though it connects when i wake it up or turn it on

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mac apps use things called "keychains." Keychains are structures that the system stores passwords in and uses to know who can have the password and under what circumstances. The system is similar in lots of other operating systems. I think MS calls it a wallet, but I'm not sure. Maybe they call it a keychain too. Anyway, in OS X, one keychain, called the login keychain, stores most of your passwords and things. The OS uses the login keychain to figure out if it already has credentials for accessing a wireless network.

Sometimes, that keychain becomes corrupted or otherwise starts to act oddly. There's a keychain assistant program, I believe in your utilities folder. So you can try using it to repair the keychain if that's the issue.

If you're typing it in several times in a row to connect to the network (i.e. you type it in, it doesn't connect you; you type it in again, it doesn't connect you; third try, it works) then there's something else going on.

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

See if the computer is storing the password in Keychain Access first, because if it is not storing it there at all, then that would probably explain the point of it requiring you to enter the password each time, and you might be able to enter the password and save it there.

EDIT: mkrishnan beat me to it.

10. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

everytime i entered the password it connected. now it works fine. it immediatley connects. i am curious as to why it wasnt saving in the first place?? think i should go to apple or should i just be fine with it and if it happends again, then go???

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

If the problem is completely gone, then don't go to Apple, you will just be wasting your time, but if it does happen again, then I would consider making another appointment.

12. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

yeah. i have been answering you my other computer and the macbook fell asleep and i woke it up and it connected within seconds. so it seems to be good. im going to cancel. i just hope i relax with this thing. its my first laptop and i know im going to examine everything and will look for things to be wrong and assume its a problem ( noises, and such lol).. thanks for your help!!!!

13. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

No problem, and don't worry about seeming too picky about it, Apple computers can be expensive and you want it to be perfect, heck I would too if I were you. Good luck with the computer and hopefully there are no more issues, and if so, run a search or post a question here, somebody will be able to help.:)

14. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

Thank You very much. Really appreciate it.

last question. I remember asking the guy at apple when i bought it but i forgot. Should i always leave the charger in the macbook? should i take it out? i heard to let it drain once a month?? i forgot. and i have my macbook on my desk. its a wooden type of desk. there shouldnt be a problem with overheating or anything right?? i get concerned that the air wont circulate and it will over heat.

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I wouldn't worry about it overheating, but make sure that you calibrate the battery at least once a month (running the battery from 100% all the way down to 0% and then recharge the computer while it is off). I try to do mine about twice a month and the battery's health has remained at 100% for over 7 months and with 75 battery cycles, so it definitely helps. In fact, my battery's capacity has increased since I purchased my Mac, it had a capacity of 5020 mAh when I purchased it, and now holds a capacity of 5372 mAh. But you should be all set leaving it plugged in, but be sure to use the battery every once and a while.

EDIT: Here are some link's on Apple's site about optimizing battery life:

Basic Battery Tips

Battery Calibration Instructions from Apple