Macbook not booting up past grey screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mburgess, May 21, 2012.

1. mburgess macrumors newbie

Last night my macbook froze randomly and I had to do a force shut down. Ever since it has not been able to boot up past the grey screen with the apple and spinning wheel.
    I am using a macbook pro that runs on Lion. I purchased it last August, but I am pretty sure I killed the warranty because of a spill on the keyboard a few weeks ago. I am not sure if that is what is causing the problem, or if it is something else.
    (Spill details: olive oil that invaded the chassis, nothing short circuited or stopped functioning. Had it opened up by two different professionals who did their best to remove the oil. Was told that most of it was gone or at least congealed. The only problems I have been experiencing since are a slightly sticky keyboard)

Here is the info about my booting up problem so far:
    -There are no peripheral devices connected
    -A reboot in safe mode has not worked
    -resetting the NVRAM / PRAM did not work
    -I started up the disk utility, the S.M.A.R.T. status says the disk is verified, however when I try to repair it a lot of error messages come up saying "missing thread" or something along those lines. After a bunch of those, it says that it cannot complete the verification/repair of the disk. I have tried this multiple times. The same thing happens in single user mode when I try the fsck -fy thing. In disk utilities, a message pops up telling me that I need to save what files I can, reformat, and then reinstall Lion? (not 100% sure about the last part, can't remember exactly what the message said)
    -In the utilities menu, I have gone to the reinstall Lion option. When I reach the point where it asks me to select the disk, it says my disk is locked and I can't continue any further

I have come to accept the fact that I will probably need to erase and reconfigure the disk (unless anyone has any other suggestions...which would be great if they did). What I want to know are two things:
    1. How can I save my files (if I even can)? Preferrably without having to take it in somewhere, I am a student and really can't afford it. I backed up most of my files about a month ago, so if I can't manage to save any, it won't be devastating. Just mildly irritating.
    2. How exactly do I reformat the disk?

If reformatting doesn't work and it turns out my hard drive is dead, I also don't know what that entails besides sucking it up and taking it in somewhere.

Also I feel like I should mention that I don't have the physical OS X disc on hand. I can't even remember getting one when I bought the computer.

2. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Sounds like your HDD is fried, you should replace it, and optionally (I've heard this works but idk) freeze it (your original HDD) for 24 hours then try to get your data back.

----------

If it cam with Lion, you have the ability to download Lion from Apple with the built in firmware, it doesn't require an OS installed to function, basically it downloads Lion from the BIOS.

3. mburgess thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok...what exactly does that mean?
    Forgive me, I am not super savvy with technology.

4. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Did your Macbook come with Lion AKA Mac OS 10.7?

Here's a list of computers compatible with Internet Recovery.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904

If your computer is on that list, boot up with Command+R

5. mburgess thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it came with Lion

6. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

What model is it? Like, MAcbook 15' mid 2011, that format.

7. mburgess thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, so should I download the firmware update, and then boot up with command+R?

----------

17'', as I said I bought it in August, so I guess you could say that is mid 2011

8. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

No, if it came with lion, the Firmware is already installed, so you can boot with Command R directly.

9. mburgess thread starter macrumors newbie

That just gets me back to the utilities menu with the options to use time machine to restore, reinstall lion (it once again says the disk is locked), get help online, or go into disk utilities

10. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Yeah, this is where you get your HDD replaced and reinstall Lion.

11. mburgess thread starter macrumors newbie

You don't think reformatting--as the disk utilities message advised me to do after failing to repair the disk--will do any good?

12. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Feel free to try it, but be sure to make a separate partition with Disk utility to back up your important stuff, you can probably run Finder from the command line.

Use this: open -a Finder.

if that doesn't work, give it the path to Finder, which should be /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

13. mburgess thread starter macrumors newbie

you mean the command line in single user mode? or somewhere else?

I am not sure what you mean by making a separate partition with disk utility

14. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

It's a way to backup your data on the same hdd, you can either make a backup partition with Disk Utility, or you can use a separate physical disk, Sorry, I don't really know how to say it in less geeky terms.

15. mburgess thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, well I have heard of partitioning before so I think I understand what you mean, I just don't understand how to do it. I can see in disk utility that I can partition the hard drive, but I am not sure how to actually put backed up files on it.

16. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Yeah, that's what you use the Finder command for, you start Finder and put your files over on the new partition.

17. mburgess thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok but, where do I put in the finder command?

18. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

In terminal

[​IMG]

19. mburgess thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't seem to find either of those commands.

I've made an appointment to take it into apple tomorrow and see what can be done.

20. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Ok, sorry I couldn't help, Good Luck :D