Macbook not booting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marik, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Marik macrumors newbie

Hi,

this morning I recieved a popup saying that there was an update availble. So I downloaded the update and ran it. However, I got the message saying that the update could not be installed.

So I closed the update box. I then tried to open the sys prefs and it wouldn't open, I tried safari and it wouldn't open either.

So I tried a reboot.

However, when I try to reboot, it gets to the screen with the apple and the circle which spins and stays there with the circle spinning. It has stayed there since this morning.

What do yuo guys suggest? I've got work on the desktop which I kind of need and hope I can keep it.

Thanks in advance, Daniel.

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Tried switching it off by holding down the power button and switching it back on? Worked for me.

3. Marik thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi m@lew,

I've tried that a couple of times, and I still recieve the same problem

The harddrive starts to spin very loudly, like it's trying to find a boot file or something. I'm not sure.

Just been reading through the 'guides' I might try 'zapping the PRAM'

Daniel

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Try booting from your CD and repairing the disk. I'm not sure how much this will help though.

5. Marik thread starter macrumors newbie

What's the likely hood that I'll lose the data stored on the desktop?

Daniel

6. Marik thread starter macrumors newbie

Me again.

I've just done a disk repair fomr the CD, it found a minor error. Just tried booting up again, and nothing has changed, still stuck on the grey apple screen.

Daniel

7. DarwinPeacock macrumors newbie

I have the same issue

It looks like the same update messed me up. Please post to the thread if you make any progress. I will do the same.

8. Marik thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi mate,

I've sucessfully saved my file, by downloading the latest ubuntu live CD, and using that to copy the file onto a memory stick. However I don't have enough space to archive-install, so I'm going to use ubuntu to copy all my stuff onto an external usb drive. Then erase-install.

9. feyn-man macrumors regular

It's weird. I guess maybe some critical part of the HD is damaged.

10. funkypepper macrumors member

It's a common problem, I know lots of people who had the same problem(including me), and then had to archive and reinstall.

I've never seen such kind of stupidness before. It is an update, not a crasher. But Apple releases updates that crashes the whole operating system. What a logic !!!!

I really wonder what those fanboys think when they see the spinning wheel stuck!!