Macbook not booting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hinkbot, Jan 30, 2008.

1. hinkbot macrumors newbie

I just got home from work and the macbook isn't booting up. it was working fine last night.

when i first turned it on, i got the usual boot screen (apple and wheel). after a long time waiting, i turned off the computer, waited a bit, and tried again. now it only goes into a grey screen.

i've put the disc 1 install disk in the drive and do not see my hard drive in the list to install to, nor do i see it in the system profiler screen under sata (in fact, this screen gives an error). the hard drive makes a fairly audible clicking noise.

i'm presuming the hd is dead. i am not quite sure what exactly to get, can some link to newegg? i'd prefer to keep it under $100 if possible.

any chance i can call apple and get a new hd? i'm no longer under warranty and don't have applecare. it seems shady that this hard drive didn't even last 1 and a half years...

2. efp722 macrumors regular

Sorry to hear about that man. It sounds like your HDD is dead. Mine just went a few weeks ago. I was able to find a 250 gig Western Digital at Best Buy for $130. Shop around a bit. But be prepared if you go to apple you will pay an arm and a leg.

Also, I had the Geek Squad at Best Buy replace my hard drive. They Charge $40. So total I got only spent $180...a fraction of what you would be spending with apple.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If it's under warranty Apple will cover it.

Up to 1 year if you did not buy applecare
    Up to 3 years from purchase date if you have applecare.

4. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

if you can take it to the store to have them look at it (at the bar, no fee), they may be able to tell you for sure what the issue is..maybe it isn't the drive