MacBook not booting

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Spinnaay, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Spinnaay macrumors member

Spinnaay

Hi,

I have a two and a half year old mac book. It's not booting further than a white screen.
    What has happened I think is that it was run flat. I have though charged the batteries up to two green lights on the battery.
    It's making hard drive noises but sits on the white screen.

Any ideas. This is my main work machine and I rely on it.

Thanks

Thom

2. Spinnaay thread starter macrumors member

Spinnaay

Ok. Now we are flashing a folder with a question mark on it. Does this mean it can't find the hard drive?

3. Spinnaay thread starter macrumors member

Spinnaay

4. Spinnaay thread starter macrumors member

Spinnaay

Ok, So my computer crashed again and will only boot in to the white screen again. I have managed to boot from the CD in to the snow leopard boot disc and when I get the option to install SL to a hard drive.. none are listed.

I then run the disc utility tool and I can see the hard drive but I have no options to repair or fix.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

5. bsblvnv macrumors regular

Do you have bootcamp installed? Either way try to hold the option key when you boot (press it after you hear the power on sound) and select the drive. If you do not see a hard drive to boot from then your drive is probably dead and will need to be replaced.

6. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Seems like your MacBook is giving you a well-deserved day off. :eek:

7. Spinnaay thread starter macrumors member

Spinnaay

Hi Everyone.

So was just about to drive off and pick up a new SATA drive when I though I would take the drive out and check the connections.
    There turned out to be lots dust and crap around the pins so I cleaned it all up and then stuck it back in and it booted up just fine! I'm on it now.

So basically hard drive is not fried, just dust and some minor corrosion. I am thinking about changing the hard drive cradle.
    Has anyone done that before?

Thanks

Thom