Macbook "Not Charging" Indicator when magsafe connected...What to do?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alphadog111, Aug 31, 2010.

1. alphadog111 macrumors member

So this is the story..I was playing Starcraft on my macbook (old 2008 white macbook) as I have windows 7 ultimate installed on this as well and all of a sudden the macbook died. I went to get the charger to connect it back to the macbook so I can play again. After a while I decided to just use the macbook on the battery alone but when I pulled the magsafe out the whole thing shut off and it wouldn't turn back on. The battery indicator shows 3 out of 5 left on it so I know the battery still works..i think... then I turned on the macbook with the power plug connected and it says "Not charging"...Is there something wrong with the magsafe or the battery? I dont think its the magsafe since it is working when I connect it and the macbook turns on...However it just keeps staying lit GREEN the whole time. It usually turns orange too mean it is charging.. This is the info I got when I went to the power information on my system..

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Manufacturer: DP
    Device name: ASMB013
    Pack Lot Code: 0001
    PCB Lot Code: 0021
    Firmware Version: 0010
    Hardware Revision: 001f
    Cell Revision: 7a3e
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 2054
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4622 - that means its good right?
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 239
    Condition: Normal
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 11426

The "Full Charge Capacity" shows that it is still good right so that means it is not the battery that is having the problem? What can I do too fix this? I read that you may have to reset the SMC or something?? Please give me some steps on what to do if you experienced this before as well!! THANK YOU!!

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

Don't panic, most likely it's the power adapter, SMC or maybe the battery
    - Reboot your Mac
    - Try resetting the SMC:- support.apple.com/kb/ht3964
    - Test the power adapter on another Mac, and/or try another charger on your Mac (I think the charger has 2 separate functions, charging & powering the Mac. One may have fried, the other may still work. So you need to confirm that it will charge another Mac)

The full charge capacity is not 100% accurate. Your battery may be dying and your Mac can't detect it. If you try the things above and still have a problem, come back on here and we'll have another think. Fortunately batteries are not too expensive.

3. alphadog111 thread starter macrumors member

hey I tried that and it still not working...any other suggesstions?? HELPPPPPPP pleaseee :(

4. Pax macrumors 6502a

Which of my suggestions did you try? Did you try another charger on your Mac and your charger on another Mac? What was the result?

5. macrazzle macrumors newbie

Battery not charging

Heya

I am also having the same problem - but I dont' have another mac to try the plug on. My mac was fine til I went thru airport security - and since then, it will not boot without charger in, green light, but also note saying not charging.
    Any suggestions for place to go in Ottawa cheap to get a battery, or check out other macs/charging?
    thanks.
    sorry I don't have any suggestions for alpha.

6. Pax macrumors 6502a

I would have thought that if you just hang out in a coffee shop for half an hour you'll see a Mac user (preferably a good looking one) who will lend you their charger for a moment. You might have to buy them a latte.

I believe the place for cheap batteries is eBay.