macbook not charging when plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sunshineistoday, Dec 11, 2009.

1. sunshineistoday macrumors newbie

sunshineistoday

my white macbook is not charging when plugged in. and if i take out the cord, the computer dies. i noticed this right after i had made a flight on an airplane so i'm assuming something happened while on the flight, even though i had my computer with me the whole time, and inside the case.

i tried using compressed air to try and blow out any debris that might have gotten into the little charger port, but no luck.

any ideas on what it could be and what to do? :confused:

thanks

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How old is it? I've seen this twice myself and once was a logic board and the other was the power brick. You may need to make an appointment with Apple.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Dead battery?

Check the Battery Information under Power in System Profiler.

4. sunshineistoday thread starter macrumors newbie

sunshineistoday

i got it in August 08'. it's just barely over a year old.

5. sunshineistoday thread starter macrumors newbie

sunshineistoday

6. jambobowron macrumors regular

jambobowron

**sharp intake of breath**

well theres your problem...

Attached Files:

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

From that I believe it's most likely a faulty/worn out battery.

Charger is OK as it's powers the machine. Other than that it's the the power circuitry on the main logic board.

Can you get someone else to test the battery?

8. sunshineistoday thread starter macrumors newbie

sunshineistoday

how would someone test the battery? my sister has the macbook pro..

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Different battery, same charger.

Would have to be a plastic Macbook of similar age. Maybe ask at the Apple Store?

10. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Bring it to Apple, ask them to test it for you.

11. omerbaker macrumors member

I had the same problem with my black macbook ('07) earlier this year. I left it on and unplugged for about 2 weeks (I was using my wife's new uniboby macbook). I bought a new battery and it was right as rain, until the bath of hot chocolate 3 weeks ago.

12. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I dont know how so many people bathe the mac in liquid I NEVER have any drink around it.

13. maghemi macrumors 6502

From your first post you say that you had it in the case the whole time. Does that mean you weren't using it?

If you have left the laptop in 'standby' when the battery is nearly flat, it continues to use charge, and I'm told that if you let the battery completely go flat, it kills it.

The same happened to my macbook with a fairly good condition battery. Unfortunately the only solution is a new battery.

14. vaccumbags macrumors newbie

15. chongman99 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem as described on a white macbook (early 2008). and one of the troubleshooting steps I didn't expect to work was what finally worked.

CLEAN THE PLUG

see #7 here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1713

I just cleaned it with a cotton swab with no chem.

Before this, I tried draining the battery, changing plugs, and the SMC reset. No luck.

I was puzzled because the plug would power the computer, but refused to charge, which made me assume it was the battery.

YMMV, just telling y'all what worked for me.

16. bbazzahh macrumors newbie

It is a defective battery. Dont try anything else because it wont work.

Just take it down to the apple store =]

17. harman.e macrumors newbie

I need help too.

I own a 13" Macbook uni-body and have been experiencing the same 'Not Charging' problem. I have tried switching to my brothers power supply for his 15" mac book pro which was the same power input, but has made no difference. This is what I got from the system profiler, if anyone can see any irregularities, please let me know.

cheers,

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. soxrox19 macrumors newbie

Follow Up

Hey guys, i know this post has been dead for a while but the strangest thing just happened to me. I had been having the same problem and came to this post to try and fix it. I had no luck so i gave up and let my computer hit zero % with the power plugged in. When i did that it started charging again. Almost like it zapped the battery. Hopefully it will hold up. But for now i am feeling very :cool:

19. jasonhipkins macrumors newbie

Bad Batteries (Full Charge Capacity)

Newer unibody Macbook's (White) and the 13" Macbook Pro the batteries, Apple will cover under warranty up to 1000 cycles if the battery goes bad. Normally you will see FCC (Full Charge Capacity) in the 6000 FCC area. Once that FCC drops to a certain point it will fail the Apple Battery test. This should be somewhere in the 2500-3500 range. The FCC will slowly start to drop over time as you discharge the battery and recharge it. If the FCC number is low there is nothing you can do to change it, that number will just keep dropping until worn out. If you have Apple care and the battery fails before 1000 cycles it reached Apple will replace. After you pass the 1000 cycles Apple will not replace as this is just like tires on your car wearing out and you have to buy new ones.

Hope this helps if anyone cares.

Thanks