Macbook not charging

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Vixus, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Vixus macrumors newbie

I just received my Macbook and noticed that it does not charge. Called customer support and did a PMC reset and now the Macbook does not turn on at all. DOA... Thanks for making me wait Apple...

2. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Damn! Sorry for your troubles man. I suppose it doesn't make it any better that nobody else has reported a bum unit.

I hope they sort it out quick!

3. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

You did this in exact order?

To reset the SMC:

Shut down the computer.
    Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
    On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
    Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
    Press the power button to turn on the computer.

4. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

maybe try another charger and cable? it could be the charger's problem.

5. Vixus thread starter macrumors newbie

Did exactly those steps. At first i thought that it was maybe the power adapter but this now confirms that it's the macbook.

Also, i would have like to try other cables or chargers but sadly this is the only thing that uses USB-c...

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

Go to a store and try one of their chargers

7. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

I understand you're disappointed. I know if it happened to me I would be all manner of sad face over a defective product.

Unfortunatlely, it DOES happen from time to time. Compound that with the release day rush to delivery, and you're going to have cases where things weren't tested, or tested as thoroughly as they should.

At the same time, keep in mind, Apple didn't personally single you out. Happy customers are repeat customers, and though they can't always directly control quality control, I'm sure they're working with you to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

8. Vixus thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, you're right. I have worked in the manufacturing test industry for a couple of years so I understand. I know they didn't single me out and I don't blame Apple. It just sucks it had to be me. What are the odds.... :(

9. newellj macrumors 601

It's especially aggravating when it's a new, hot product like this that's hard to get your hands on...

10. gglockner, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

I'm seeing the same behavior. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone from an older MacBook Air. I wonder if there is something special about the new MacBook that requires a fresh install. (Side note: it seems to have improved once the charge reached 70%, and I reset the SMC and NVRAM and ran Apple Diagnostics).

11. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

Ugh, happening again. Seems to occur when it needs a significant charge while I am working on the computer. I will keep watching this issue.