Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stejampzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Greetings,
I have a MacBook Pro using OS X 10.5.8 and am trying to re-establish my internet connection with our LAN here at work. I simply moved desks from one side of the office to the other, and now my Mac can't find the same network I've been on for two years.

Some background:
Historically, I have always manually configured my network settings at the office because my Mac can't seem to find the connection on it's own. (Conversely, at my home, I simply choose "Using DHCP" and everything takes care of itself). For the last two years, I would enter my IP, Subnet, Router and DNS Server manually at work and the Mac would connect with no problem. Having changed locations, I enter the same information and no network is found. It says Cable Unplugged, which is not the case. I've worked with our "sort of" IT guy to try and find a solution but he doesn't know much about Mac's (nor do I for that matter). He is able to connect his PC laptop to my ethernet cable and access the internet with no issues, but when I use the same cable there is no connection.

Presently, I am able to connect via Airport to the neighboring companies wifi feed, but it obviously isn't a permanent solution.

Is there maybe a way to reset my internet settings and have the Mac search for an internet signal again? Perhaps there is something else I can try? I searched around the forums for a solution, but I couldn't find anything specific enough to give me a solution.

Thanks for any info.
-Steve

stejampzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Go Applications, Utilities, Network Utility, Ping tab, can you ping any other computer on your subnet?

No. I tried to ping our "sort of an IT guy" and got 100% packet loss. I also tried to ping our switch and got the same result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.