Macbook not finding hidden WLAN

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thelatinist, Dec 27, 2010.

1. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

At my workplace there are two WPA2-encrypted WiFi networks covering different portions of the facility, neither of which broadcasts its SSID. I have successfully connected to both of these networks, and both are remembered in my list of preferred networks. Only one of these networks seems to be automatically detected by my MacBook, however. If I am within range of Network 1, my MacBook will automatically connect and Network #1 will appear in the Airport statusbar menu; Network 2, however, does not appear in the dropdown and will not automatically connect. I have to join the network manually using "Join Other Network..." each time I need to connect to it, reentering the network name, encryption protocol, and password.

Both access points are Linksys WRT54GL routers. Both employ MAC filtering and WPA2 encryption. My home router, a WRT160N, is similarly configured and my MacBook has no problem connecting to it. I should also add that my colleague's 2009 MacBook Pro on Snow Leopard has no problem displaying or connecting to either of these networks. Nor does my iPhone.

I have tried deleting and re-adding the networks numerous times as well as manually removing their entries in my keychain and reordering them in Preferred Networks. I've had no luck.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

2. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist