MacBook not going to sleep on low power

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Lexoticstylez02, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

My MacBook is not going to sleep when the battery is low anymore, it now just shuts off, it does tell me low power once it hits 5% or whenever it gives you the warning. But once it hits 0% it just shuts off, and does not sleep like it is supposed to.

Any suggestions? I have the Aluminum 2.4GHz model.

2. Lexoticstylez02 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

3. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

My Unibody one goes into hibernation (suspend to HD) instead of sleeping. I prefer it. Sleep consumes power. Hibernation doesn't.

You shouldn't worry about it. You won't loose your data and if it has gone into sleep/hibernation from lack of battery power, then you shouldn't be thinking of using it without plugging it in beforehand :)

4. Lexoticstylez02 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Yes but mine would go into the low power state (hiberation, or sleep) whichever it was. Now it just suddenly shuts completely off.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

As in, you have to restart completely when the power comes back? Meaning your uptime counter is reset?

6. Lexoticstylez02 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Correct, the computer completely resets as if it was off. It does not resume to my prior session as it used to.

7. HappyAgain macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem on my MacBook. It's never done this before, and is doing it consistently

8. elm39 macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have been having the same problem: macbook pro quits abruptly with no warning and without going to sleep. Starting back up starts from scratch instead of resuming. MBP is 2 yrs old, and the battery is down to 33% capacity with only 163 cycles. That may be part of the problem. I have been working on trying to get the battery capacity back up with little success. Normal calibration of battery does not seem to help. I know a lot of people have battery problems, so I may just have to give up and get a new one, but not without a fight. Surely someone has an understanding of this problem!

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I have the same problem with my black Macbook. I was startled today when it just suddenly shut down with no warning (no low batt warning either). I had not noticed that my Magsafe had popped out so I was on batt without realizing it. At the time, I had only Preview, TextEdit and Firefox open. I had been using wireless to net earlier but the Airport card was turned off. I was in the TextEditor when it shut down.

I plugged it in, waited a minute, pressed power key, machine booted rather than waked. It booted as normally as if I had shut it down, nothing was restored as is the case when the machine sleeps. Firefox, when I launched it, did act the way it does when you shut down without closing the browser, i.e. asked if I wanted my session restored etc.

June 15th is when I took this machine to 10.5.7 and it's entirely possible I have not used it down to a low batt situation since then, until today. The machine only has 62 cycles on the battery. The battery health is characterized as good and the full charge capacity is listed as 4902.

I do know that my battery qualified for that firmware update and it was applied on June 15th as well. I am wondering if that thing somehow altered something that is relied upon for the low battery warning.

Well anyway now I'm turning autosave back on in TextEdit on this machine, since APPARENTLY I have found a use for it...

10. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Try going to energy saver and setting "restart automatically after a power failure." Not sure if this will help at all but it's the only thing I can think of.