MacBook not recognising SSD, white screen of death + chime

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesMyCQs, Oct 28, 2012.

1. JamesMyCQs macrumors newbie

Hi guys, new to the forum but have been following MacRumors for a while now.

I woke up this morning to find my MacBook suddenly won't turn on! It stops booting after the startup 'chime' and stays on the white screen [of death].

I installed an SSD (OCZ Vertex+) about 8 months ago and haven't had any problems, though I'm gradually becoming more convinced that this has failed, leading to my current problem.

I still had my old hard drive lying around so I plugged this in instead of the SSD and it works fine. I used this install to create a bootable thumb drive install of OSX Lion. I removed the hard drive and inserted the USB, told Disk Utility to boot from that first and then re-attached the SSD and restarted.

It loads from the USB drive, but disk utility isn't even recognising the SSD!!

Obviously I'm really, really worried about this - I have most stuff backed up to DropBox but there are a few key files, months of work I'll lose if I can't get it off the SSD. My next step is to try and attach it somewhere as a secondary drive and run some recovery / repair software but I'm not too optimistic given that it won't even recognise the drive - any ideas would be much appreciated!!

James

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

Sounds like your SSD bit the big one. Not sure if you can recover data from an SSD like you can from traditional drives. I'd call the mfg about warranty and recovery options. Do you have a time machine running?

3. noteple macrumors 65816

Outside of making sure all connections are secure (disconnect reconnect) sounds like a SDD failure.

I would also follow the external enclosure route and contact the mfg of the SDD for drive recovery services.

4. JamesMyCQs thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's the answer I didn't want to hear!! Thanks though guys, guess I'll have to start looking into data recovery services