MacBook not recognizing my external hard drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OceanChick92, Aug 23, 2012.

1. OceanChick92 macrumors newbie

My MacBook is no longer recognizing my external hard drive in my finder windows or on my desktop. I looked for it in Disk Utilities, and it is there. I tried to mount it, but the mount button is not highlighted. What should I do?

2. simsaladimbamba

When you select the HDD and partition in Disk Utility, what does it say on the bottom of the Disk Utility window? Can you make a screenshots and attach them to your next post?

3. OceanChick92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the screenshot

Attached Files:

4. simsaladimbamba

What happens when you press VERIFY DISK and REAPIR DISK afterwards?

5. OceanChick92 thread starter macrumors newbie

There seems to be an error. When trying to verify, the following message pops up:

First Aid Failed
    Disk Utility stopped verifying “Maggie Farmer” because the following error was encountered:
    Filesystem verify or repair failed.

And when trying to repair, the following message pops up:

First Aid failed
    Disk Utility stopped repairing “Maggie Farmer” because the following error was encountered:
    Filesystem verify or repair failed

Attached Files:

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Can you get your data off of the drive then try a reformat?

7. OceanChick92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know how. My external hard drive is formated for Macs, so PCs don't recognize it. And I don't have another Mac to try to open it.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

At this point, unless you want to try some data recovery apps/services, I think you are going to lose that data and a reformat is your only option left.

9. simsaladimbamba

Do you have access to a Windows computer? If so, you can try the seven day trial of MacDrive to read data off from the HDD.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yep, if you need the data, I'd grab a copy of DiskWarrior and see if you can fix/retrieve it with that, and if not, just reformat and see if it successfully erases. In fact, if you go that route, I'd zero the drive and let it mark off any bad sectors that may exist.

jW

11. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

I've been also having a similar problem with my imation apollo HDD. It was listed in the disk utility and i could feel the HDD spinning as well. Unfortunately I couldn't find a good solution and I bought a new external HDD. The new one is working well...