Macbook not recognizing new Apple remote?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flac124, May 30, 2008.

1. flac124 macrumors newbie

I've found the remote works perfectly with my MBP, so the remotes good. I've also discovered that the macbook responds to the remote sporadically with only certain buttons?

The previous owner upgraded the hard drive. with this in mind, I opened the macbook expecting to see the IR cable broken or damaged, to my surprise the cable looked alright?

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The previous owner of the MacBook wouldn't have to actually open the MacBook and expose internal components. The hard drive in the Macbook is easy to replace as it is right behind the L bracket where the battery is. I can't give you a definite answer, but try resetting the MacBook's PMU (power management, hold down power button while the battery is out and the cord is unplugged) and perhaps resetting the PRAM (hold down command + option + p + r before you hear the startup chime, it should start again, let it boot from there). If those don't solve your problem, maybe a reinstall of the OS would be in order, but that seems a little much for a remote... in fact, maybe the remote is discriminating, can you try it with another remote?

3. flac124 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks iToaster!

Resetting worked! It was a little thing, but it bugged me ever since I got the MB!