MacBook not recognizing newly installed optical drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by naivetesucceeds, Jun 24, 2009.

1. naivetesucceeds macrumors newbie

Hello everyone -

So, I have a 13" white MacBook that is about three years old. Recently, the Combo Drive stopped reading CD-Rs (possibly all discs in general, but I only ever use it to burn CDs, so I wouldn't have ever known), so I decided to try to install a new Super Drive myself.

Following a guide on ifixit.com, I installed the new drive, but when I turned my computer back on, it was not recognizing the drive at all. System Profiler was saying "This system does not contain any ATA devices. If you have any ATA devices installed, please check that they are connected and powered on." I was then able to reinstall my old Combo Drive, which my computer recognized immediately. Thinking that I may have just not connected something tightly the first time, I tried a second time. Same thing happened.

So, my question is, is there anything I may be missing or does this definitely mean the drive is defective? I just want to make sure I'm not sending back a functional drive before I go ahead and do so.

Thanks!

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

If you're 100% it's all connected up perfectly, sounds like a dodgy drive, are you 100% sure the drive you bought is mac compatible? (Although I'm pretty sure they're all universal anyway...)

3. naivetesucceeds thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I am positive it is compatible with my computer, checked multiple places to confirm before buying it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ok well then I'd suggest you ring your retailer and try and get a replacement sent out :)

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Seeing how Mac OS X installations are specific to the models....

Is it possible that his version doesn't have the superdrive drivers? Or are they not THAT system specific?

6. naivetesucceeds thread starter macrumors newbie

worth a try. is there anywhere i would be able to download these? can't seem to find anything on the apple website/through google.

also, i am female :)

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

lmao, I don't see what being female has to do with anything. Plenty of the ladies are computer savvy :p

I did some reading around though, and it seems you shouldn't need any additional software. Which model of drive did you buy? I see you're running at least Tiger (10.4) so you won't need any add-on software to add burn support and the like.

8. naivetesucceeds thread starter macrumors newbie

you said "his" in your first post is all. :)

i bought this. and i am running leopard.

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Oh it's an official Apple drive, there shouldn't be any reason why it doesn't work.