MacBook not restoring saved state after battery dies.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sparky672, Jul 20, 2009.

1. sparky672 macrumors regular

I have a 13" MacBook which is working normally except for this new issue.

In the past when the battery drains to near zero, everything is saved so when the power is restored, you see a gray version of your screen as it's restoring everything to the point where the battery went dead. I'm not sure if it's called hibernate, deep sleep, or neither.

The problem now is that when the battery drains to zero, the computer just shuts down as expected. However, upon restart, it's not restoring to last state. It just boots up normally.

What's causing it to boot instead of restoring to last state?

Thanks.

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't know what the cause is, but the exact same thing has just happened to me for the second time since I went to 10.5.7 (on a black macbook 13") and again I got no warning whatsoever about the low battery situation.

I just forgot to plug it in this morning and a little while ago, zap, it shut down. I plugged in, waited a minute or so and hit the power key. It booted from scratch. I had been using Firefox and a text editor and they both recovered what I had been working on when I launched them. At least I had wised up the first time it happened, and had turned on text editor's autosave option. But the point was that I had to launch these apps, so it's not like the machine took a snapshot and recovered from sleep. It never went to sleep, it just shut down

Wondering more seriously now if the battery firmware update that I also applied, when I ran the 10.5.7 updates, has affected how the machine responds to low battery situation. I used to get a warning and would then plug in. Now it's lights-out with no prior warning.

Well I'm off to take this up with an Apple tech on the phone. I would sure like to know what's up with this no-warning shutdown routine. My battery has good health and fewer than 70 cycles on it.

UPDATE: ok well for now all the tech did was have me reset the SMC... he gave me a case number so I can report back if the problem occurs again. Sigh... well I'm not running the batt down tonight all the from 95% just to see if it shuts down or gives me a warning and goes to sleep, so that's tomorrow's project!

3. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

This only happens to me sometimes, it's kinda hit or miss. Sometimes it will restore and other times it will not. I can't find any reason why it only chooses certain times to save, I don't know if it's something I'm doing differently, or if there is something else going on.