Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
The last few days, my MacBook has not been seeing my 500GB Lacie drive which I use half as a Time Machine backup and half as a scratch disk for audio work.

Nothing has changed, or even been unplugged/plugged in to my setup to make this occur, it has just happened for some reason. I usually have the hard drive hooked up through a USB hub and have tried plugging it directly into the MacBook but still no joy.

Most of my other USB peripherals seem to work fine including mouse and keyboard.

Of note, my MacBook wouldn't see my iPod Shuffle 512MB, though it would charge the device.

Nothing appears in Disk Utility either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Are you using Leopard by any chance - I have noticed that USB drives sometimes are not seen by the OS. There does not seem to be any real reason - but as you have found out - a restart usually makes them return.....

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
Are you using Leopard by any chance - I have noticed that USB drives sometimes are not seen by the OS. There does not seem to be any real reason - but as you have found out - a restart usually makes them return.....
Yes, running 10.5.4

I've had this problem once before but if I remember correctly it just came back to normal after a bit of time without a restart required. But yeah, in the future I'll be sure to restart.

shouldn't that be one of the first things you do when troubleshooting? ;)

*Sigh* I know...I know. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.