macbook not seeing external drives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by comictimes, Oct 11, 2007.

1. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

The title basically says it all.
    Although they work fine on other computers, my external hard drive and USB key won't show up on my macbook. I know it gives power to them since my external lights up when it's plugged in, and I see that they're connected in the System Profiler, but they don't appear on the desktop.

Also, my ipod shows up in iTunes, but the computer always says it's corrupted, although it works fine. I thought that was an iPod/iTunes thing but since finding out about my hard drives I'm not sure anymore...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does it happen if the external drive is the only connected device and the MacBook is plugged into the power socket? Does your drive have an external power supply? Does Disk Utility recognise the drive, even if it's not mounted? :)

3. comictimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Right now my external is the only thing connected. Disk Utility can see it, it just isn't mounting on the desktop.
    to the power supply: it's a 2.5" drive, so no power supply... it has a socket for one, so if I find the right power supply I could plug it in, but it's never been necessary before.

edit: I just manually mounted it through disk utility and that worked fine. But I'd really rather not have to do that every time I plug in an external drive...

4. Padsmac macrumors newbie

Having same problem with both iMac and Powerbook

Both my iMac and my Powerbook have seemingly suddenly stopped seeing my Lacie d2 Quadra external HD. Am sure it was there for my Time Machine since installing Leopard. Now, however, it doesn't appear on my devices list or on my Disk Utilities list in order for Disk Permissions Repair. Anyone any ideas please?

5. mac168 macrumors newbie

No internal HD & external devices shown on DEVICES

I am using MacbookPro. I have seeing internal HD and external USB drives when they were connected to the notebook (at the DEVICE section).

Only recently, it was not shown under the DEVICES for some reasons... but can see all items under PLACES & SEARCH FOR. How could I make it back and appear under the DEVICES section?

Even though it was not shown, I can still access to those drives.

Thanks.