MacBook not seeing new hdd?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andysmith, May 2, 2009.

1. andysmith macrumors 6502

Bit of a strange one, this.

My wife has a black MacBook that's approx 12 months old, and the stock 160gb HDD has started to fail. I've purchased a new disk, a Western Digital WD3200BEVT, which judging by reviews online, should work fine in a MacBook.

So I fitted the new HDD and booted off the restore DVD, but the new HDD was not seen by Disk Utility. However, it appeared in System Profiler, and identified correctly. I put the drive in an external USB SATA enclosure, and it was picked up without a problem by Disk Utility on my iMac. I formatted it as HFS+ with GUID, and put the drive back in the MacBook. Still nothing.

Anyone got any ideas? Really scratching my head here.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Format to mac journaled under disk utility first, and then install leopard. Or get a sata cable and use carbon copy cloner to clone your old drive to your new one. That's the 7200 rpm 320 gig scorpio black, right?

3. andysmith thread starter macrumors 6502

No, just a 5400rpm Scorpio.

Like I said, Disk Utility on the Install disc doesn't see the drive. The original drive seems to have a lot of bad sectors so I can't clone it - I need to restore from a Time Machine backup.

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

5. andysmith thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried resetting both the PRAM and SMC with no luck.

In the end I resorted to using a WD2500BEVS (250gb WD) that I had lying around. Works fine.