Macbook not starting up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dooo, Dec 2, 2008.

1. dooo macrumors newbie

Hey. I was upgrading from Tiger to Leopard and decided I wanted to quit the upgrade to do it another time. After selecting my HD to boot up from, the computer restarted and would not start up. It is stuck at the start up screen where the circle keeps going around. What should I do? Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Finish the upgrade, if even possible.

You can't interrupt something like an OS upgrade that big, from 10.4 to 10.5.
    It will somehow frack everything up.

Insert the Installation DVD again, and see if you still get the option to just Upgrade, or at least the Archive and Install option.

If not, save your data (if you need to) via Target Disk Mode (holding T down after the startup chime and connecting the Mac to another one) and after that do a complete Installation of Leopard.

Is the installation DVD a retail copy or an Upgrade DVD?

3. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

In my opinion I would not upgrade to 10.5 which is now 10.5.5.
    Apple has made many changes from 10.5 to 10.5.5. That expecting much of your 10.4 installed software and settings. To not cause conflicts is highly unlikely.
    Your best bet is to, just do a archive and install. Or better yet a fresh erase and install of 10.5

4. dooo thread starter macrumors newbie

I have fixed the problem. I got out of the start up screen by holding the C key after turning it on, which then led me to the upgrade. Thanks for helping and giving suggestions. Hope this helps other people who are in the same situation!