MacBook not turning on

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by junka666, Jan 5, 2010.

1. junka666 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    My MacBook is not turning on. When I click the power button, nothing happens. The little oval-ish light on the front of the laptop is lit. I have heard the "wee-oo-wee" turning-on noise twice, but nothing happens.
    My charger is firmly connected to a good outlet, and the light on the charger is lit up green. It's possible that this could be a problem with my screen.

EDIT: I'd like to add that it was working 5-6 hours ago, and I don't believe anything major has happened since then.

Thank you,
    Junka

2. junka666 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd like to add that it was working 5-6 hours ago, and I don't believe anything major has happened since then.

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I think I've had the same problem just two days ago for the second time. What has helped (as a work-around) is resetting the PMU (take out battery, disconnect power cord, hold power button for 5-10 seconds, reconnect everything) and then wait for a few hours. It will work again (at least it did the two times this has happened to me). It will not work again right away so don't freak out.

Yesterday, I took my MBP to the Apple Store and they said all the hardware is intact so I don't have the slightest clue what could be wrong.

4. junka666 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I'll try that. Should I reconnect the power after I press the power button?

5. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

It would still attempt to boot up even if so.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It is turning on. Only the screen remains dark.

7. Mumford macrumors regular

Try holding down the power button for > 4 seconds.

8. junka666 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard more of the "wee-oo-wee" sounds and also the sound of it shutting off, multiple times. But the screen still remains dark.

9. chill. macrumors 6502

10. dayneoram macrumors member

<y initial thought was "Is it the brightness"?
    because it is possible to turn the brightness so far down that the computer screen appears off... Sorry if that's a dumb idea but i suppose its possible...

11. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Try these:

1. Reset the PRAM, both with and without the battery.

2. Reset the SMC.

3. If you have one, plug in an external monitor -- same issue? Be sure brightness it turned up (hit the key a bunch of times). Shine a flashlight at the screen -- can you see your desktop? If so, it's probably a hardware problem.

And, just to confirm, this is a MacBook not a Pro, right? If it's a Pro, read here.