MacBook not using all of available RAM

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I own a first generation MacBook Core Duo 2.0Ghz with 2GB of RAM (2 X 1 DDR2 PC2-5300) installed. I also run a RAM monitoring software in the background. I have never seen more than 1462MB of RAM utilize. I am running the latest version of Tiger. Could it be that some of the RAM is never use? The computer detects 2.0GB of RAM. I brought these two RAM modules from Crucial. Regardless of how much I tax the computer, I have never seen more than 1462MB used. Is this a software glitch? Can it be corrected? I like to see my MacBook last a little bit longer if I can.

Any ideas?

Cinch

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
The speedometer on my minivan goes up to 140 mph. There must be something wrong with my car because the fastest I've driven is 70.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I own a first generation MacBook Core Duo 2.0Ghz with 2GB of RAM (2 X 1 DDR2 PC2-5300) installed. I also run a RAM monitoring software in the background. I have never seen more than 1462MB of RAM utilize. I am running the latest version of Tiger. Could it be that some of the RAM is never use? The computer detects 2.0GB of RAM. I brought these two RAM modules from Crucial. Regardless of how much I tax the computer, I have never seen more than 1462MB used. Is this a software glitch? Can it be corrected? I like to see my MacBook last a little bit longer if I can.

Any ideas?

Cinch
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204349

About 80MB is set aside for VRAM that the GPU uses. Then some is saved up for swap/cache etc. I think you are okay there.

If you look in Activity Monitor in the Memory tab what does that show being used?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.