Macbook not working with monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iBookfan, Dec 31, 2010.

1. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Hi fellas!

I've been using my black macbook for several years with both my Apple Cinema Display and Panasonic TV with the Apple mini-dvi to dvi adapter, but today when I tried to hook my macbook up with the tv it didn't work. The Tv just showed a black picture and nothing happend when I un- and replugged the cable. I tried it on my ACD as well and the colors wasn't right on it. Some colors wasn't showing, eg red. Green and blue was OK. I'm suspecting the adapter to be the problem, 'cause I've tried everything (also in preferences) and been using this method for years!

Any thoughts on the problem? Should I buy a new adapter or try something else?

Connection methods;
    TV = mini-dvi to dvi, and dvi to hdmi
    ACD = mini-dvi to dvi and dvi directly to the ACD

Cheers and happy new year! :)

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

This is fairly common with VGA and DVI cables. Wiggling the wires works a few times, but replacing the cable should fix the problem.

3. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

I've tried wiggling it but nothing happens. The tv appears total black but the ACD works, just without the correct colors.

Is it just the Apple mini-dvi converter I should replace? And can I buy a 3.part brand instead of the expensive genuine one? I've got a Monster dvi to hdmi cable so it shouldn't be that making the trouble.

Thanks for your answer

4. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

I recieved my new apple dvi adapter today and it still doesn't work.. It wont connect and on my ACD nothing happens now.. Not even with some of the colors...

Maybe it is the dvi-plug in my macbook that is damaged?..