Macbook now or iMac/Mini later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brianr19, Nov 7, 2008.

1. brianr19 macrumors member

Greetings Mac users,

I am a avid home recording artist looking to improve my sound. My main reason for getting a mac is it's simplicity. Garageband seems to be a very user friendly program to record with so my question is: Should I get the low end Macbook now, or wait until January? I also would like to know what I could benefit from waiting. Will there be a new OS? Faster USB ports? Faster CPU's? Anything else?

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

If you're avid, you may need a unit with Firewire so that you can have the maximum number of choices as far as equipment. But, there is some uncertainty as far as the Mini and iMac continuing to offer Firewire...

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The iMac has a good chance of dropping it, so if you are after one now, I'd recommend it.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. With Apple dropping the FW400 on their laptops, they could easily do that with the next iMac revision.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes, great deals on refurbs or maybe the older model if they update.

The only thing is that if they do drop FW, then there's going to be a run on the older models... :eek:

6. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I can't imagine Apple dropping firewire on their iMacs. The did it on the MBP's/MB's due to space and the way the insides had to be built. The same isn't true for the iMacs, there should most definitely be space for the necessary ports.

as for refurbs, they are great!

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes, general speculation is that if they keep FW, it will be FW800 only and you need to buy an extra adapter for hooking up FW400 devices...

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Horrible excuse. The old MacBooks are very similar in size, and have more ports.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Don't the MBP's have a Firewire still?

10. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Yes, they still do, but it is firewire 800, requiring a converter to connect firewire 400 based devices.