Macbook Now or Later?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vidd, Feb 22, 2007.

  1. Vidd macrumors 6502a


    Mar 7, 2006
    I'm going to purchase a Macbook very soon but I need the advice of current owners.

    1. Should I wait for Leopard?
    The most exciting thing is Webclip but if I decide that I want it and the new iLife, it's quite expensive. I feel like just getting it now and upgrading when I feel like it.

    2. Which model?
    Does the bigger cache really matter? I plan to go for the 120Gb HD anyway.

    3. Is it future-proof?
    I will not be running very many 3D games but I will be using Vista. How does it fare with Aero?

    Please post your views, especially about the G950.
  2. psychofreak Retired


    May 16, 2006
    You may have trouble with virtualized aero, but natively it is fine...

    The question is how happy you are with your current computer, and if you can wait, I say wait.
  3. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Mar 7, 2006
    If I was running it virtually, I wouldn't be as worried; I meant through Bootcamp.

    Why are you suggesting to wait?
  4. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Dec 27, 2006
    Santa Rose; Given

    Flash Drives; Possilby, leads to near instant boot times

    Long life per battery cycle; Santa Rose will hopefully conserve energy

    faster; Santa Rose will be faster

    LED displays; Rumored

    Leopard; Spring is right around the corner

    iLife; Your going to want to upgrade one way or another

    new form facter; Been a while since the "pro" line got a new form factor

    smaller form facter; Alot of us are crossing our fingers

    lighter; if new form factoer, possibly lighter

    64 bit memory management allowing for more then 3 gigs of ram

    Boot Camp improvements

    updated graphics

    take your pic....
  5. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Mar 7, 2006
    Santa Rosa a given?
    Apple took their time implementing Core 2 Duo, what makes you so sure that they'll use a new architecture so quickly?
    Besides, even after Leopard, it could be a long time before a hardware refresh.

    What does anyone else think?

    EDIT: Also, 'spring' could mean 4 months away...
  6. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Dec 27, 2006
    Historically I believe when Apple says Spring they mean April/May. For me thats right around the corner.

    Although Apple took longer then other companies to but in Core 2 Duo, I think this time around they will be much faster, especially if there is a form factor change. If Santa Rose comes out March then its safe to say that Apple will do it by June at the latest, but thats worse case scenerio. This all just my opinion and reasoning.

    *note I have not actually read March for myself, just from what I have heard through other people
  7. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

    Sep 5, 2006
    I was toying with the idea of replacing my 1GHz Titanium PowerBook with a CD MacBook. Probably a refurbished one. However, I am going to wait for both Leopard and new MacBooks. Reasons:

    1) I might like the new MacBooks so much I am able to find some extra money to get one.

    2) Second hand CD MacBook prices will drop even further, thanks to all the fluttery gimmers who suddenly feel they are holding a giant steaming turd now that something new is out.

    3) Refurb prices on CD and C2D will lower a bit.

    4) If I get a new computer, I get free Leopard! And I can use that on my iMac, hopefully ILLEGALLY and go to prison where my quiet demeanour and knowledge of the parole system will earn me the title of "Little Professor" among the hardened inmates who will come to love and adore me and together we will plan an audacious escape involving the Christmas Play.
  8. illustratorDavi macrumors 6502

    Jun 7, 2004
    North Yorkshire
    mmm... I don't think you can use it in your iMac. I tried to install Tiger that came with my PMac G5 on my old iMac. It refused saying "I'm quite obviously not a G5 beast - i'm spitting this DVD out !" ;)

  9. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

    Sep 5, 2006
    I will find some way around it, if that happens...that cell WILL be mine.
  10. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    If you are after Aero I'd really suggest you wait... for that new Intel integrated graphics solution. CX3000 or C3000 or something :)

    The next update is going to be quite significant, so it is really up to you how desperate you are!
  11. Bern macrumors 68000


    Nov 10, 2004
    I have an original cd MB and plan to upgrade it. But when the c2d came out I felt it was only an "in between model" before something else was about to be released.

    I say at least wait until Leopard is released to get your new MB. That way you'll get it with the new OS X and new iLife '07.

    For me I'm waiting until May/June and hoping by then a new model will be around.
  12. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Mar 7, 2006
    Not that it would swing my purchase but are the hard drive prices likely to drop?

    More importantly, how likely is Santa Rosa and the X3000?

Share This Page