Macbook, now or later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ds55, Dec 14, 2007.

  1. ds55 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2007
    #1
    Nearly bought a MacBook last night, but decided to get it cheaper in the Apple shop, (you get a better student discount in the shop). But having seen reports of a new MacBook being spotted should I wait till after MacWorld? or get it now?

    To the point; If they inform us that there is a new mac going to be released will it take about a month to appear in the shops or might it be during the 3rd quarter of the year, or what ever length of time?

    Any thoughts?

    Charlie
     
  2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

    tMac85

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    Location:
    in a great place
    #2
    sorry but there are milllllions of wait or not wait posts already
    please search the forums.

    wait and see what happens with macworld.
     
  3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #3
    An aluminum Macbook =! a Macbook any more than an aluminum iBook = an iBook.
     
  4. SXR macrumors 6502a

    SXR

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #4
    I should wait for SURE. Period.
     
  5. lekun macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    #5
    Apple stores, better deals?

    You get a better deal in store than online? How so?
     
  6. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #6
    I think he means Apple shop rather than third party reseller
     
  7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #7
    I agree, its only a few weeks away now, Jan 15th I believe.
     
  8. Hunts121 macrumors regular

    Hunts121

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2005
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #8
    Do whats best for you. I don't need the most powerful machine "EVAR" but I needed one with some more juice, so I got the one listed in my signature and have never looked back. I bought it last month at apple refurb. It was off the refurb site in a day so apparently others had the same feeling. Yea its not santa rosa, but I don't think it really matters to me. A 64 bit dual core chip with 3GB ram is more than enough for what I use a computer for now. I upgraded from a 1.5GHz AL PB G4 and sold the old girl for a decent 600 bucks haha. So I paid 900 bucks for my MacBook Pro, not too shabby.
     
  9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

    Le Big Mac

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #9
    Have any of these rumors suggested it will be a macbook replacement, as opposed to a macbook pro-lite or something altogether different/
     
  10. SkyBell macrumors 604

    SkyBell

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    Texas, unfortunately.
    #10
    Well yeah, right now the rumors are pointing to an aluminum macbook instead of an ultra portable MBP.
     
  11. jdsony macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    #11
    These rumours are probably false because in case people were sleeping they just updated the Macbook. Of course this could have just been an update to boost Christmas sales.
     
  12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #12
    There's a massive case of groupthink here where people are convincing themselves that Apple's going to give them MBP gear in Macbook form at Macbook prices. You can't argue with that level of self-deception. Best to just go on using your gear while other folks keep setting themselves up for disappointment.
     
  13. priller macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2007
    #13
    I agree, nobody other than apple really know if there's going to be a new macbook at macworld.

    If you buy now you'll be disappointment if apple release new macbooks in less than a month.
     
  14. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #14
    New introductions to a product line have been exempt from this in the past. For example, when the 12" PB was first released.

    In either case, we don't know if this is indeed going to be a "macbook" or "macbook pro" or even non-existent. However, given the veracity of recent rumors, I'm inclined to believe that something is coming, and that it will be an interesting development and addition to the Mac line.

    I'd turn down the rhetoric just a tad. ;) You don't want to anger the wrong people. ;) :)
    They'll probably be available in retail stores (physical Apple Stores that is) faster than online. AFAIK, the mbp had delays of up to 3 weeks over the summer for online orders, but there were generally good stockpiles in Apple retail stores throughout.

    In truth, the rumors are pointing to a smaller aluminum notebook that may or not make use of Flash storage and other energy/time saving devices. At this point, the only thing potential buyers can do is wait, which is what I suggest the OP do as well. :)
     
  15. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #15
    That is VERY unlikely to happen. New MacBook Pros probable or even a 13" MBP. New MacBooks not so much
     
  16. nslyax macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2002
    Location:
    Holland, MI
    #16
    I am ready to buy a MacBook, as my G3 800 iBook just turned 5 yo and I finally have the cash around. I am holding off till after the MW keynote though.

    When I bought my iBook, I thought I was safe as they had been updated just 2 weeks before. Then comes MacWorld and Apple releases the 12" PowerBooks, and I kicked myself.

    Unless you must have the computer now, I say wait. You never know what MacWorld will bring.
     
  17. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #17
    You can keep winking from here until Christmas, CalBoy, but that doesn't change the fact that the MB's not getting updated in January.
     
  18. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #18
    I was just trying to remind you to be a little less...aggressive in your posts. There are better ways to say what you're trying to say, and you definitely don't need to characterize the forum as some hive mind that acts like a collective.

    And I believe you'll find that I never asserted or advanced a theory which corresponds to a macbook update happening in January. My only point is that we don't know the nature of this rumored "sub" notebook, and it may or may not fulfill the needs of the OP better than a macbook.
     
  19. taibien86 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2007
    #19
    they are surely coming out with a new macbook by summer of 2008, because by then it would have been about two years since the last upgrade.
    so if you do not need it right away, i would wait.
     
  20. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

    Le Big Mac

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #20
    If you wait until Macworld, and apple doesn't release new Macbooks, you'll be disappointed that you went without a new macbook for an extra month.
     
  21. Tom B. macrumors 65816

    Tom B.

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #21
    I wanted a MacBook for Christmas too, but I decided to wait till Macworld, just in case.
    I know it is not especially likely that the MacBooks will see a drastic upgrade, but maybe they will get LED backlit screens or some other small improvement like that. It's only an extra 21 days anyway.
     
  22. babboxy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2007
    #22
    macbook now!

    just bought one yesterday and I love it! :)
    I'll definitely wait for a january update of the macpro... :(
     
  23. priller macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2007
    #23
    I'd rather wait less than a month to see what happens at macworld than spend the next 3 years wishing I'd waited if there is a new macbook.

    I'm not buying one anyway until apple fix the keyboard problem ( the last update didn't fix it for everybody ).
     
  24. SXR macrumors 6502a

    SXR

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #24
    A month actually isnt as long , and I would defo wait.
     

Share This Page