MacBook. Now or later?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tocyk, May 19, 2008.

  1. tocyk macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2008
    #1
    So this Thurs. I'm heading out to the Apple Store if I choose to buy a MacBook now. I figure that it is the best of it's model right now.

    Would the hypothetical new Aluminum MacBooks count as a new model and have potential bugs like how the MBA was said to have?

    I just want the best bang for my buck, and I COULD potentially wait til the newer MBs come out, but I wanted to know some of your guys' opinions. Having multitouch and maybe better specs doesn't seem too bad, but having a bug free top of the line MB now wouldn't be too bad either.
     
  2. NT1440 macrumors G4

    NT1440

    Joined:
    May 18, 2008
    Location:
    Hartford, CT
    #2
    well id personally wait, but im not sure if the redesign is going to be only a redesign or if the specs are also going to change.
     
  3. me_94501 macrumors 65816

    me_94501

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2003
    #3
    How urgently do you need a MacBook? If you need it now, get it now. If you don't need it right away, you may as well wait.
     
  4. tocyk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2008
    #4
    I am in no rush, but would the new Aluminum MacBook have bugs? I mean, for a new model, it is bound to have some problems for being a first release right?
     
  5. italiano40 macrumors 65816

    italiano40

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2007
    Location:
    NY
  6. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    #6
    I got a MB a month ago precisely because I do not want the new model
    with all the likely problems. Will move up to the new one on the second revision (at the earliest) and then sell this current MB while it still brings a good price.
     
  7. CWallace macrumors 601

    CWallace

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #7
    One would hope the next MacBooks are on the Montevina platform, which would give them a performance boost in CPU/FSB, memory and GPU speeds, so you might want to wait...
     
  8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

    tdhurst

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2003
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #8
    impatient

    I have a 12" powerbook (the last model) that I'll be replacing with a Macbook as soon as I see what the next upgrade is. If it's not spectacular, I can always buy the current model at a reduced price. Win-win.

    That being said, if you NEED a computer, it's not worth it to wait.
     
  9. Henry Evil macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #9
    I just ordered a macbook tonight. As far as the rumored redesign goes, it doesn't interest me. Metal? No thanks. Multi-touch pad? Not a necessity. The only thing I guess I'd be missing out on are slightly higher specs and a larger harddrive, but notebooks are CONSTANTLY being updated, no matter what you have, it'll always be out of date in a matter of months.

    I ordered one because I need it now. Evaluate your needs and priorities, and whether you can wait for/prefer the redesign.
     
  10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

    tdhurst

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2003
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #10
    Smart

    Smart man here. Well said.

    Upgrade if you need to. Wait until you actually need to.
     
  11. diepc macrumors newbie

    diepc

    Joined:
    May 22, 2008
    #11
    now or later

    as just about everybody said if you need it now, get it now if it is not a necessity, wait for the update. most bugs with new macs will be fixed with updates. also if you purchase the Apple Protection plan, all hardware issues will be covered by apple. Im not big on the aluminum look, but if the MBs got the new intel chipset, the faster fsb's and CPU's a would be nice, but dont expect any upgrades larger than 400MHz if that. however, the MB's may be getting the GMA X4500 graphics, it's still integrated, but its a little better than the current x3100. Im personally waiting until june to see what happens.:eek:
     
  12. this is J² macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    #12

    Does anybody know how much the price of a previous model is reduced when a new model comes out?
     
  13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

    tdhurst

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2003
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #13
    Hmm...

    Usually it's a few hundred bucks, but no one knows for sure.
     
  14. maestro55 macrumors 68030

    maestro55

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Location:
    Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
    #14
    I don't think you would regret buying now if you did. I just wouldn't drive to the Apple Store unless you want to buy though because once you get there it will be like heaven and you will be whipping out your payment method.
     

Share This Page