MacBook - Now or wait? (again, sorry!) + purchase help...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applemax, Jun 20, 2006.


The MacBook. When?

  1. Now

    17 vote(s)
  2. Wait

    7 vote(s)
  1. applemax macrumors 65816


    Feb 22, 2005
    OK. I was wondering. I want a laptop for doing Photoshop stuff on. Nothing serious, just messing around with layers and stuff. Also, I do a lot of iLife. Nothing too extreme. What spec MacBook do you think is necessary? Also, should I wait for a Core 2 MacBook? Will there ever be a MacBook with a "real graphics card"?


    And, I'll bet my cat that someone will say "If you need one, get one, if you don't, don't!" I don't need one, I want one, but I'd like one pretty soon. When do you think RevB will be out?

    Cheers, again
  2. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    my opinion is that the current line up is too buggy to buy now. If I'd known all the problems they had, I'd have waited.
  3. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816


    Feb 22, 2005
    But only some people are affected by this mooing business. Surely if that's a problem, it's Dead on Arrival? Also is it DOA if the screen or laptop is scratched?
  4. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    "Dead on Arrival" does not mean that there is a minor defect - it means that the computer is dead. Will not boot, will not run.

    The possible problems out there are whining, mooing, discoloration, and excessive heat. IMO you stand a considerable chance of getting at least one of these defects.
  5. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816


    Feb 22, 2005
    What about serious screen scratches?
  6. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    if the screen arrives seriously, or even slightly, scratched, that is certainly grounds for return/replacement, though it would still not be "DOA." Not that I've ever heard of that happening...
  7. Jollins macrumors regular


    Jun 9, 2006
    I'd bet on the MB never having a dedicated GPU as long as Apple has a "pro" series to sell. Can you wait until September or later for your MacBook (assuming Apple updates at the expo)? The defect issues are overblown I think, but go ahead and wait if you'd rather not risk it and would rather have a faster processor (once again, assuming they update this).
  8. wako macrumors 65816

    Jun 6, 2005
    going by some threads I been reading, if you buy a macbook that is manufactered later in the year, your chances of getting any serious problems is very small, compared to getting the first shipment of macbooks.

    I got my Black Macbook with no major problems. Only problem there is, is that my K key is "sticky." Which Apple is willing to replace or fix.
  9. jeshepard macrumors member

    Jan 23, 2006
    I bought mine out of necessity (broken powerbook), but I've been pleased with my purchase. As for the problems people have had...

    It's no hotter than my powerbook was, maybe a little cooler (had it on my lap the other night).

    No discoloration (yet, only had it 2 weeks)

    And it's silent, unless I have the processor turned up and it's doing some kind of encoding.

    I also put 2GB of RAM and a new hard drive in. Nice little machine.
  10. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a


    Jun 20, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'd wait 'til after the WWDC to really choose anything. But that's me, and I'm in kinda of the same situation. Heh.

  11. Acehigh macrumors 6502

    Mar 5, 2006
    The graphic card will probably not be updated. The macbook is for people who dont need it high end graphics. Who buys a 1k computer to run a $600 program.

    If you need a "real" graphic card get a MBP. Not sure if you can get the ipod deal, but if you can you cant go wrong with the MB now.
  12. Bern macrumors 68000


    Nov 10, 2004
    If you need it now then get it now. I have the 2Ghz white model with 2GB ram and I run PS and Illustrator fine on it. I also play the Sims 2 + EP's with no issues and I have Painter IX installed in my XP partition which again runs beautifully.

    Anyone who says the entire range of MacBooks are buggy simply because they have a few minor issues is just generalising, because it's not true. I went from a 12" Powerbook to my MB and I don't regret it.
  13. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

    Apr 2, 2006
    Get it now! I don't know how I ever lived without mine:D :cool:
  14. tf843364 macrumors newbie

    May 16, 2006

    Hey, if you look at intels roadmap, there are no significant revisions to the core duos ever, as merom will take over post january.
    However, if you wait and get a merom Santa Rosa will come out 5 months later, which is a 800 mhz bus as well as a better graphics chipset (much better). After that, they are going to be bringing in 45nm 4core chips.
    You can see where waiting NEVER ends.
    I can say that they Macbook is not likely to get merom for a while, which will work to widen the gap between MB and MBP, and even if it does it wont be a big deal. Its 64 bit, big freakin deal. 20% gains arnt that amazing, especially since that is probably an inflated number. I think that the only reason to buy merom is to buy it at a lower clock speed, and get a cooler longer lasting laptop that preforms the same.
    Still, the diff wont be much. Especially since the top teir processors will be reserved for the MBP (merom will have 2.33 ghz)
    Then again, i HAVE to buy a computer before september... so im brainwashing myself!!!

Share This Page