MacBook now....quick!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cynics, Oct 6, 2018.

  1. cynics macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2012
    #1
    Some stuff came up and I literally can't wait.

    Is the base model of the MacBook capable of switching between and keeping ~15 tabs open, constant email, messaging, note taking and quick recall via spotlight, marking up jpg photos (marking up not editing)? Maybe another very basic task or two?

    Trust me I would love to wait but I'm about to walk out the door to the Apple store right now and I'll be returning with a MacBook for those basic task or a MacBook Pro because I'll need it on monday. I'm just looking for first hand experience.

    I would prefer the MacBook over the Pro because I prefer more powerful desktops plus I don't like carrying around an ultra expensive laptop.

    At the same time I don't want to regret my decision.

    Any help would be appreciated!
     
  2. EugW macrumors 603

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #2
    Yes the 2017 m3-7Y32 with 16 GB would be fine but you have to decide if the 256 GB storage is enough. If not then you’d need to get the i5 to get 512 GB storage.

    Do they even carry the 16 GB MacBooks in stock at the Apple Store?

    For heavy multitasking 8 GB could work but I wouldn’t really recommend it, esp. if you plan on keeping the machine a few years.
     
  3. ChrisChaval macrumors 6502a

    ChrisChaval

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2016
    #3
  4. cynics thread starter macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2012
    #4
    Thanks for your reply.

    Chatting with Apple they don't carry anything that isn't their base listed model. This is a problem for me. Only way I can get 16gb of RAM and a 512 gb SSD today is by going with the 15" MacBook Pro top model with its base specs. I can get a discount through work but 2600 out the door (no sales tax) is pushing it for me and what I need it for.
     
  5. digger10 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2014
    #5
    You could buy it and use it for your immediate needs (Monday). You might decide it's perfect for you and keep it. Alternatively, by the time the cool-off period is over, the new models will have been announced and you can make a more informed decision having tried the 15" MBP already.
     
  6. cynics thread starter macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2012
    #6
    I know! Don't remind me lol. However I'm using a legal pad. Besides I was considering base, even the 2017 models have upgrades.

    However I might try to wing it somehow, because I would like to upgrade my desktop since I do a bit of video and photo editing using Resolv 15 (not studio) and GIMP. That will help me make my decision, because I would like a Mac Mini powerful enough to handle that + MacBook for work. However if the Mini doesn't happen or is lacking in specs I would be more willing to opt for the MBP + external monitor.

    Apple made the RAM upgradable I would be picking up a new MacBook of some sort today....oh well...
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2018 ---
    I thought about this. But I think I would fall in love with it anyway. I knew an announcement was coming but is it that soon?
     
  7. ChrisChaval macrumors 6502a

    ChrisChaval

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2016
    #7
    Both, a new Mac mini (Pro) and new MacBooks might happen later this month

    Wait if you can
     
  8. digger10 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2014
    #8
    It seems so. Tim Cook is speaking at the International Conference of Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners in Brussels on the 24th, so it's unlikely to be that week. More likely the week before 17th to 19th: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...d-october-event-based-on-prior-years.2145289/

    In that scenario invitations would be going out this coming week. Either way you'll know well in advance of potentially having to return it.
     
  9. Precursor macrumors 6502a

    Precursor

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2015
    Location:
    Istanbul
    #9
    There are many 2017 Macbooks with 16 GB Ram available in B&H
    See here https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=29065&fct=fct_ram_965|16gb&cp=9581+37094+29065
     
  10. jetlagged macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2012
    #10
    Don’t buy it bro. Wait for the new MacBook. Idk when it’s coming out. But MacBook 12” 2017 is outdated.

    I own a MacBook Air 13” 2012. Great notebook at the time, and it’s still holding up. But 6 months later in 2013 Apple released MacBook Air 2013 with the significantly improved and longer battery life. Man I was so mad. That alone was worth holding out for. Something like 12 hours battery life (2013) vs 7 hours (2012)

    Who knows what’s on the horizon. I would just wait for the next announcenebt if I were you.

    I wanna replace my MacBook Air but it’s not within my budget at the moment
     
  11. cynics thread starter macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2012
    #11
    Thanks for the posts. I'm just going wait as suggested. I'm pretty much set on a MacBook (or updated MBA?). For my desktop needs I'm going to see what the Mac Mini (if updated) has to offer in comparison to a 5k iMac.
     
  12. fokmik macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2016
    Location:
    USA
    #12
    you can also buy one now, keep it and using it do your work for 10 days at least...then return it
     
  13. Dave245 macrumors 604

    Dave245

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2013
    #13
    Definitely wait, Apple are probably going to hold an event sometime this month, the 12” MacBook could end up being updated but also a new 13” MacBook Air is rumoured to be introduced, the rumours say a retina MacBook Air which will be aimed as a budget (Apple’s version of budget at least) laptop.

    Personally I’m waiting to see what happens, if I’m not happy with the new 13” MacBook announcement I will just get a 12” updated Macbook and see what the future holds.
     
  14. utilitas, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018

    utilitas Suspended

    utilitas

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    #14
    What I think:

    Edit: Also the last MB 12"s cpu was launched in April 2017 and the refresh of the new MB with that came in June 2017 two months after. If this could be applied to a possible MB 12" refresh this year, it might be released in the end of october scince the new Amber Lake chips were launched in the end of August of this year.
     

Share This Page

13 October 6, 2018