Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hauss316

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I can get a new white macbook (not the ones that just came out) for $400 but there is a catch. Macbook works fine except it wont charge the battery. The owner told me she spilt water on the charging port and it wont charge the battery but works fine with everything else. Is this something I can repair? Any advice?

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
This is a very common problem with macbooks that have had a liquid spill. The charging system is in the logic board. Also, the battery connector may be bad. Could be other issues.

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
I would be very concerned if it is the logic / system board. That could cost far more then what a used Macbook is worth.

At best what you have for $400 is a small (non portable) Apple with a built in screen. In other words if you never need to go portable it might have some value, but I wouldn't pay $400.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
I did a search through other forums and a lot of people that had the similar problem did this

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411?viewlocale=en_US

and apparently it solved the problem......anyone think this will work?

Very unlikely...if liquid was spilt in the magsafe connector area it may just be the Magsafe/dc board which is cheap and fairly easy to replace.

If I was betting then I would say that the logicboard is damaged.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.