Macbook ok for Pro Desktop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eyemacg5, May 25, 2007.

1. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

We've been using Pro Desktop at school in Graphics and our tutor says that it would be good for us to have it at home aswell, I think she would like us to do some work using it at home, and I was wondering if a macbook would be ok to run it in either paralels or bootcamp. I only have an iMac G5 which cannot run ProD because it's windows only software as far as I am aware and anyway school only has Windows Licenses. Macbook ok or should I save up for the new MBP at WWDC (assuming there is one of course)?

EDIT: Or would a Windows laptop be better?

2. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

I don't know what Pro Desktop invovles, is it graphics intensive? If you're going to go for a laptop for a heavy duty app (assuming it is one) you'll probably want a high end MB or a MBP.

The other option is to go for the 20" iMac if you don't need portability.

3. eyemacg5 thread starter macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

prodesktop is a 3d app, which uses cad to draw the object and then renders it, not sure if all 3d apps do this because im not familiar with any more. I do need the portability so the 20'' imac is not an option,

4. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

The Macbook has a crappy graphics card. So if you are doing work with 3D, you'll probably want something else. (Macbook Pro)

5. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

The thing with the GMA950 (integrated graphics processor on the MacBook) is that although it's limited to 64MB, it'll still be alright for 3D rendering but you'll be waiting for a longer period of time. I don't see why everyone on here complains about the GMA950; it's only real drawback is high performance games and things like Motion.

I'd go with a mid-range WhiteBook with 2GB memory. However, if you can afford it, a baseline MacBook Pro will do the job just peachy.