MacBook (old style) LCD Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RichardJohn, Jan 15, 2009.

1. RichardJohn macrumors member

Hi,
    My MacBook has a broken LCD at the moment (incident with train ticket barriers!).
    I'm looking to get it replaced at the end of the month. I don't really want to do it myself; I'd probably end up breaking something else on it!
    Does anyone have any recommendations for places that will do it? The only Apple store around here is a premium reseller called AT Computers, who are renowned for taking months to fix stuff.
    I'm leaning towards mactuition.com. Has anyone used them? There was another place I was looking at, but it turns out the guy running it has a less than great reputation.
    Thanks!

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

3. RichardJohn thread starter macrumors member

Oops, sorry; meant to post this in the MacBook forum!
    Thanks for the link, looking for somewhere in the UK though (meant to mention that, I'm clearly rubbish today).

4. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Have you seen these? Link

Or -

have you ever taken a laptop apart?
    Its really not that hard to replace the screen and there are guids on ifixit.com with detailed pictures.
    You could then get a replacement screen from ebay. Theres a few on now (UK) that you could bid on or buy it now for £80

Apple are likely to charge £300+ and when you consider that you could probably sell the broken on on ebay for £200+ and buy a refurb from apple for £600

5. RichardJohn thread starter macrumors member

Got it done by these people: http://notebooks2go.co.uk/
    Cost 150 including collection and delivery, and the turnaround was less than a week. Really happy with them.