Macbook (older) Graphics card problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Forge94, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Forge94 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I just downloaded Topspin Demo for pc, after finding out that Virtua Tennis 3 did not run on my macbook.

The original topspin demo is about 300mb, and was released in 2004.
    However, my macbook does not seem to have suitable graphics to run it.

I was 100% sure that any game from 4-5 years ago would definitely work, but i am wrong.

I try running the demo in Crossover games... wont launch.
    I try running it in Parallels... an error occurs.
    I was sure it would work in Bootcamp, but instead i get an error saying my graphics card is not sufficient, and the latest drivers for that card are needed.

However I DO have the latest drivers for the GMA 950.
    Surely this macbook is capable of running a 5 year old game!

EDIT: Im pretty sure i have the latest drivers, but want to make sure I do.
    I have looked all through the intel site under the GMA drivers, however I cant find an appropriate one, and I dont know how to download them.

Quick response would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Forge94 thread starter macrumors newbie

No one?

The exact error is:
    This video card doesnt support a required feature for Topspin.
    You should update the driver of this video card ( I just did this)
    (Doesnt support vertex or/and pixel shaders version 1.1)

Any way to get around this.
    Seriously, I can play PES 09 perfectly, and have issues with a 5 year old program.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If the game requires that pixel shader, and the GMA950 doesn't support it, sorry...

The GMA 950 is really a pathetic graphics setup TBH and is what, 3.5yrs old in that MacBook. I usually think that mobile chips for gfx are a year or two slower than their desktop counterparts. The game requires a GeForce3 or better which came out in what, 2002-2003'ish, and I wouldn't equate a GMA 950 anywhere close to a GeForce3 setup =\

4. Blair230 macrumors regular

I am not 100 % familiar with the embedded intel graphics, but check this site: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support?iid=hdr+support

There are links here both to a driver detector to see if you have the latest drivers. It has a driver update utility which should identify and update any graphics drivers you need.

As far as having the game work properly, I believe your graphics card does have support for vertex/pixel shaders 1.1 but you might be able to find that out in the forums for that website.

Unfortunately, NewMacbookPlz is correct that if the card doesnt support it, there is no way to run the game.

As a last resort, you can check the support site for topspin to see if there is any workaround to get the card to work.

Hope it helps!