Macbook on an aeroplane...Help!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mbikeboy, Dec 9, 2009.

1. mbikeboy macrumors newbie

mbikeboy

I'm flying from Australia to France a in just under 2 weeks time, and today was changed airlines (long story). I'm now flying with Emirates, and according to their website they have power for laptops...which brings me to the question, what the hell does this mean?

Despite making enquiries with the airline, I have not the faintest idea of what kind of connections they have, what I need to bring, etc, Can anybody shed some light on what I need to carry with me so that my new Macbook is fully useable on the flight? I haven't travelled overseas for 9yrs, n got stuck sitting next to annoying idiots for 22hrs last-time each way, so am VERY keen to use the laptop as an excuse to avoid similar situations, and entertain me. :p

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It means that have the cigarette type plug for you to use to power your laptop. You'll need to buy an airline/auto power adapter to be able to use this but its a nice thing to have if you travel or want uninterrupted usage during a long flight.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Not necessarily, some planes have standard AC type power points, so you use your standard plug.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Your seat might not even have a plug if you're in coach. Business and first-class almost always have ports.

6. mbikeboy thread starter macrumors newbie

mbikeboy

Thanks for the quick replies! :)

I'm flying with Emirates and their fleet have power provisions for each seat in economy. I'll be on a Boeing 777.

I'll get the Apple travel adaptor kit thingy, and take the lot with me just to be safe! Hehehe! If somebody knows the exact plug or connector necessary that would be great. :)

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Go to the website mentioned by swiftaw and check what kind of plug you need. It might be the airplane DC plug, in which case you'll need the airline power cord made by apple (can't remember the exact name at the moment).

8. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

I'm assuming you're Australian. Here's a link. If you have that, and your regular wall plug, with plug adapters you should be covered.

9. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

it depends, most of the airlines have now the usual wall connector style thing

10. J.711 macrumors newbie

J.711

Hi Mikeboy.. as a frequent flier on Emirates and an owner of a macbook I can assure you that there are charging stations on the plane. It uses the North American Plug (from what I've noticed flying to both Toronto and KL --> both places use different plugs, but I'm guessing the North American outlet is standardized.. but don't quote me on that).

Also, whether you're on Economy or business it doesn't matter.. every seat has it's own plug to charge your own electronics. If your plug doesn't fit you can always ask the cabin crew for an adapter which they'll gladly let you borrow.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

11. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The triple-7 I flew to Japan with had 110v power on seats all the way to back.
    Continental.

12. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

why don't you just read a good book instead. electronic gadgets are overrated. enjoy the flight as a time to take a break from all the silly gadgets.

13. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah that's good or even a Sudoku book is pretty good too... but I haven't even touched that book since my last 7 hour flight from L.A. to Cleveland since that's all I had at the time lol :eek:

But usually an iPod to just block out all the annoying sounds of chatter is good enough.

14. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I'm flying to tonight on Qatar Air (DC to Doha, Doha to Mumbai). The itinerary that was emailed to me doesn't show what kind of plane it is. If I do need something different than the standard North American plug (I live in the US) for my 15" 2.2ghz MacBook pro and my wife's MacBook Air, can I get it in a store? It's too late to order now.

These two posts give me hope that I'll be ok with my standard ac adapter/plug

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Usually you can look up what kind of plane it is by the flight number; the same planes almost inevitably fly the same routes over and over.