macbook on contents insurance

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by njh82, Jul 28, 2011.

1. njh82 macrumors newbie

Hi

I dropped my macbook at the weekend. It works fine but has a crack in the bottom casing which I am worried will let in liquid and general dirt and fluff. I a looking to sell the macbook at some point and upgrde but realistically no-one is going to buy a laptop with a crack in it- especially when its on the bottom and can let stuff in.

It is covered on my contents insurance but I have a £200 excess. they said if its not economical to repair they will replace like for like. I am unsure whether to take the risk that they will do a shoddy repair and hope that they replace it?

Anyone had any dealing with this?

2. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

It might be worth asking an Apple Service centre how much a bottom case replacement is first. If you're paying out £200 for the excess you might find it's cheaper (might not - it's an Apple part afterall)

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If this is a non-Unibody then the part is not that expensive and should cost less (even with fitting) than the £200 excess.

I am confused by the "like for like" replacement - do you mean "new for old" ?

"Like for like" implies that they they will replace your 3 year old MacBook with another 3 year MacBook......