macbook on craig's list

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RareEarthMetal, May 14, 2009.

1. RareEarthMetal macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

I know its not a great idea but I found a macbook on craig's list I want to buy but im worried. Although there is no evidence of it, what would happen if it were stolen? he said he got it as a gift and doesn't like mac so he is selling it to get a pc.

called him. sounds legit. said its never been opened. I want to know if macbook boxes have the serial number outside the box so that I can ask him for it and do some research on it.

where should I go once I have the serial number?

What if its a box with a brick in it?! I would have to open it there right? but...*sigh*

I need help A.S.A.P since Im going today at 4:00pm to meet him.

plus do the new macbooks come with a sticker? I want one.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes they have the serial number on the outside of the box. No great way to find out if it's stolen other than to get the serial # and have them check to see if anyone has reported it stolen. Yes you should open the box there with him and turn it on.

But if he said he doesn't like his mac and the box is "unopened", how does he know he doesn't like his mac? Does he have another one or something?

3. RareEarthMetal thread starter macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

But if he said he doesn't like his mac and the box is "unopened", how does he know he doesn't like his mac? Does he have another one or something?[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I was thinking. But I illusioned myself with the idea that some people are closed minded and he wouldn't even give it a chance.

I was thinking too that I should open it there but should I give him the money?
    half of it until I open it or I have no idea because he claims its never been opened so he wouldn't want it open, on the other hand he wouldn't mind it open if worked right?

ugh dilemmas.

4. TheClarkster macrumors newbie

Currently in most cities I've checked there is a scammer posting about Macbooks. If he tells you he's on a business trip, or recently moved, then it is him.

Only buy it if you can meet him in person and check it out. If he agrees to meet in person, ask him to first send you the serial number like suggested, or a copy of the receipt or something that you can check up on first to see if it is stolen.

5. etiger13 macrumors member

If you have the money and are serious about buying it and just want to make sure it works first, then he will have no problem opening it and letting you turn it on. Check the serial on Apple's site under warranty info.

What kind of deal are you getting?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Open it and turn it on before you hand over any money.

7. ZeroCorpse macrumors member

Craigslist is iffy. I'd want to see it, turn it on, and make sure it's OK.

Barring that, I'd want some sort of guarantee, and I'd buy with a credit card if possible so I could get some help if he tries to pull a fast one.

I have one to sell, but I'm not real keen on putting it on Craiglist... it's a shady place.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how does an individual accept a cc? lol

9. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

That my friend is what the magic of paypal is for. Let's everybody take cards.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Dude, of course you need to open it up and make sure it works properly before you hand him the cash.

I bought my MB from craigslist and that's what I'm using now.