Macbook only freezes up on ONE account

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yellowcrayonx, Aug 24, 2010.

1. yellowcrayonx macrumors newbie

Hello.
    So I've had this MacBook for about 4 years now.
    There has been recently(3 months ago) had problems with it, such as not being able to select things but that has been fixed by apple due to the swelling of the battery. Therefore it was fixed free of charge.
    I wanted to mention this just in case it could be relevant to the current problem it has.

Recently, on my 2nd account (I have 2 on my macbook), everything suddenly froze and I could not move my mouse. I thought it was probably due to the lag of youtube and having more than 3 applications in use. Therefore, I restarted my computer and it automatically logged in on my 1st account(I set that on my log in settings). So everything works FINE on that account and moves smoothly(it also works fine on the log in screen), with no problems. I log into my second one again and the mouse is still stuck (although I can move it within the first 5 second span). I restart multiple times, the 1st account being fine, ONLY having problems with the second one.

Considering I have important files on the 2nd I decide to take a risk and change the log in settings to automatically log in as the 2nd account. I restarted the laptop and it logged into my 2nd account. And it worked. I was happy and tried to go onto my 1st account as well. Then I encountered the same problem. It seems the mouse only freezes (ONLY the mouse because the keyboard and power button works fine whenever I restart it) on the account that's log in settings are not set to automatic.

I have important files on BOTH accounts, therefore deleting one is not a solution. This incident happened 2 months ago. I ignored it since it wasn't that big of a deal and my laptop is still working fine. But changing the log in settings every time I need to switch is rather aggravating, don't you think? Is there anyway I can fix this myself or do I have to bring this to Apple? Please and thank you :)

EDIT: Also, your thoughts on whether it's worth fixing would be nice too.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

It sounds like you have an app on startup of your problematic account that is the issue. If it were hardware or OS, then it would affect all accounts.

3. yellowcrayonx thread starter macrumors newbie

Eh? Problematic account? It can be either account though.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

Oh I see. The text is hard to read in one large paragraph.

Have you tried repairing permissions or reinstalling the OS?

5. yellowcrayonx thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha its alright.
    I have OSX, I'll consider reinstalling it if it will help though.

Also I apologize for sounding ignorant but how do I repair permissions? And what would it do?