Macbook only restarts with forced shutdown

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bagofshore, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bagofshore macrumors newbie

Hey, I have the following problem:

My Macbook Pro 13 i7 2,8 750GB unmodified works as intended but when I want to restart or shut down via the apple logo it will get stuck during bootup with the apple logo and the grey wheel spinning ad infinitum. This is curious because the same thing happens when I do a normal shutdown and then startup again. If it were only the restarting that wouldn't work I could live with just using shutdown and never using the restart option but why would the same problem occur with a complete shutdown?

Anyway, when I push the power button to force a shutdown during that freeze and then push it again to start the system everything works perfectly, as it should.
    What's happening here? I cannot find anyone with the same problem in all the forums. Anyone got any idea? I don't have any 'real' problems right now but I can't imagine having to use the forced shutdown procedure for the next few years (it's a new Macbook fyi).

If I can't find a solution I will probably reinstall Lion but hat's really my last resort because I'd hate to have to go through the same procedure again (backing up and transferring everything and generally setting up the system).

I tried repairing permissions and the disk in general, I don't have any partitions, though I did try to set up boot camp only to find out it doesn't work because my system is already too fragmented to find enough continuos space for a boot camp partition. I also installed reflt to try to install windows 7 via usb drive but whether that had anything to do with the restart freeze I cannot say because I never had to restart before that.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Akarin macrumors 6502

Akarin

I once had this issue on my MacBook running SL and all I did was reseting the PRAM and the issue was gone... Have you tried?

3. bagofshore thread starter macrumors newbie