Macbook only runs off AC power! Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JurgenWigg, Sep 22, 2009.

1. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Hey guys,

So I have a Macbook 1.1 running OSX 10.5.8 and recently I haven't been able to run my laptop without it being plugged into the wall. The battery charges while it's plugged in, and still reads as charged when it's unplugged, but as soon as the charger is unplugged my computer shuts off. When I try to start it again, everything spins up for a second or two and then cuts off again. Sometimes the fan spins up real loud, sometimes not. Any suggestions before I give up and just try to bring it into the store?

2. robsaskibum macrumors newbie

I would bet that the battery is dead and that the "charging" that you're seeing isn't really happening. Go in to the system profiler (first do about this mac, then more info) and under power you can see the battery health. See what that says. If that says that it's healthy then there's something wrong with the power input or something along those lines. If you take it in to the store they can tell you for sure what's wrong though. And the appointment and diagnostic is always free :)

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

4. JurgenWigg thread starter macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

System profiler says 81% health left, and the LEDs on the bottom still light up all the way.

Guess it's a trip to the store.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Sounds like a battery issue despite the high health percentage. They should just swap it out at the store.

6. JurgenWigg thread starter macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

If that's the case, this will be battery swap #2....