MacBook only working if bottom slapped...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alokm, Mar 6, 2014.

1. alokm, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

alokm macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I am trying to help a friend repair his mac.... it is macbook 2006 with OSX 10.6.8 installed...

The problem was that it remained stuck on the apple logo... no whirly below...

It was not taking any keyboard commands (except apple +S which too got stuck after identifying firewire). During this process I happened to bang hard on the keyboard once and it started booting fine after that. Realising that something was probably loose inside. I opened it and checked all the connectors and cleaned all the dust etc.... then it was working fine till I kept it a little heavily on the table and then it got stuck again on the boot... Again I reopened it and checked the cables... seeing everything fine I restarted... it was fine

Then to test again... I gave it a little slap on the bottom ... and then it stopped again.... :(
    This has by now happened a few times.... I cannot figure out which part may be causing this trouble...

Thank you for any guidance regarding this problem

Alok

2. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Before you do anything I'd try a new hard drive.

3. alokm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Twimfy.... I had thought about that.... but did not pursue it further... since my friend had just upgraded and installed a new SSD....

Hmmm Disk utility... should be able to verify... but I don't have the original disks... for repair :(

regards
    Alok

----------

Nope... Verification in Disk utility shows no problem.... Do you think it could just be a loose connector...??

If shaking slapping etc can restart it... it would be something physical like connectores... What do you think..??

Alok:confused:

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

most likely the hard disk cable connection to the logic board - start with that connection - it is under the video cable connection.

the SATA to logicboard cable is really cheap - $5-7 maybe less

5. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

I actually have one of those cables laying around I believe. For a Macbook 1,1? I bought this originally for a Black Macbook 1,1 model, 2.0 Intel Core Duo, but ended up not needing it. If you want to try it, PM me. Shoot me a few bucks to cover US shipping and its yours.

6. alokm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Logana... I think so too... since refitting the SSD brings it back to life...

Thanks for the offer DmbShn41... I think it'll be cheaper just to buy it locally and it is Macbook 2,1 and NOT 1,1.... ;)

regards

7. alokm thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Just noticed that the SSD installed has a slight play when fitted in the caddy... it moves slightly... which I think causes it to shutdown...

I have tried to reduce that by inserting another piece of thin rubber as packing... or do you think changing the side rubber slidings will be better and longer lasting...??

regards
    Alok

8. alokm thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally solved....

It WAS the connector cable from the logic board which had a problem a replacement and everything was alright. :)

regards
    Alok