MacBook Optical Drive Failure

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FFTT, Aug 20, 2008.

1. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the optical drive in an original MacBook? And which brand is bootable.

My daughter's MacBook Optical Drive is not reading CD's or DVD's and the Genius Bar said it would run nearly $400.00 to replace the drive since it is out of warranty.

I'm also curious if there might be a known failure issue with these drives.

This is really the first time since 1998 that any Apple product I've owned
    has had a real hardware failure, so it's clear that the quality of the drive
    is probably at fault.

2. JayMan8081 macrumors regular

3. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

I had my Macbook for under a year and the Drive had a Failue, I had a CD in it and it would not eject or read it... The computer didn't even recognize I had an Optical Drive... It was under warranty but the guy told me it was a common problem because they make them so small, and "They're assembled in China with robots with little quality control..."

I have the receipt and it tells me the part, "Drive, Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM, 24x 9.5, SLOT, SATA"

4. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm sure it takes quite some careful effort to replace the drive, but
    the greater problem is knowing which 3rd party drives are both reliable
    and bootable.

The Genius Bar tried to tell my daughter that the replacement drive
    would cost nearly $300.00 and that's just absolutely obscene.

5. crobbins macrumors 6502

You can pick one up on ebay for around 190..I remember seeing them at that price point when I was looking to replace one. The drive replacement really isn't bad at all if you follow the guide it ifixit.com.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You solution is to visit MacSales.com and (1) find their replacement drives ($100 to $110, depending on software bundle) and (2) watch their very nice video walk-through on replacing it.

7. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

I suppose OWC is the best option unless someone knows of a better
    source for bootable MacBook drives.

8. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

According to my experience the optical drives are total *****. I'm on my second, soon to be third when I return to the States. If you haven't already, I'd lean hard on the Apple Genius for a replacement. Unfortunately, today's Apple makes Applecare imperative.

9. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

The optical drive in my G5 tower had a similar problem, but it was easy enough to take apart and gently clean the lense with denatured alcohol. Problem solved.

I realize the optical drive in the MacBook is smaller and may not be so easy to clean.

Overall, this is the 5th machine I've purchased and the first that I have had any major problem fixing.

I should probably write Apple Customer Relations to see if they might be able to assist in the situation.

10. eman macrumors 6502a