Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
I recently got a couple of TDK DVD-R discs. However, every time I put one in my MacBook, it spins for a little and this then ejected. Any ideas?

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
I recently got a couple of TDK DVD-R discs. However, every time I put one in my MacBook, it spins for a little and this then ejected. Any ideas?
try another brand, some drives can get picky and work only with certain brands.

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
I just tried using a Sony DVD and got the same results. This brand has worked on my laptop before.

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
could be your drive getting weird. does it work with retail dvd's? does it read and burn cd's??

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
I just tried using a Sony DVD and got the same results. This brand has worked on my laptop before.

Hmm, I've noticed this with both Combo and SuperDrives on multiple Macs where the drive won't read blank media. So far, the only temporary solution I've come across is a very quick blast of compressed air to clean out the interns of the drive but I still don't see why this should be necessary.

Mind you, the drive roof on this PB has collapsed so it won't read any optical media at all, and any disks refuse to eject unless force ejected via a restart. Just keep trying to insert the DVD-R and see if your Mac will eventually like it.

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Well, it seems I just have horrible luck with media, since I tried some other stuff and it worked.

For future reference, what blank media do you recommend for future buying? As in brand names.

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Well, it seems I just have horrible luck with media, since I tried some other stuff and it worked.

For future reference, what blank media do you recommend for future buying? As in brand names.

many swear that Taiyo Yuden is the best you can get, personally i dunno but whatever you plan to get, stick to the classic like verbatim, memorex (maybe?) ritek... just try with one before you buy a 100 pcs spindle :D

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

I would still watch your drive carefully if I were you. I had a similarly finicky optical drive on a 20" iMac CD, and it only got progressively more finicky until it stopped working altogether, even when trying to read burned media, as well as pressed CDs and DVDs. It even scratched a few discs. Ended up having to send it in to get the drive replaced.

I prefer TDK. I did try Sony a while back, but i had a few bad spindles whose discs were prone to delaminating.

archtechgamer

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
well, my optical drive was playing up - not reading any cd's or dvd's or games which were dvds but. so i took it to the genius bar and my macbook decided it wanted to read it all then, also he did that P + R reset thingy so that might have done something but still. then not even 2 weeks later, i couldn't burn to cds it would make a weird jammed noise and i had to hold the power to get it to stop and shut down. THEN a few days after, i tried playing the sims 3.. didn't read it, spat it back out... SO brought it to the genius bar an hour later, they said the optical drive had to replaced, luckily they did it for free for me. 7 days later i get it back, i turned it on there and it was fine, no data was lost. but then i came home and turned it on, and you know how macbooks make that noise from the inside before the chime, yeah mine did that BUT it was a deeper kind of drive noise... and after it makes that it does some other noise and repeats 2 or 3 times... also does it after opening it from sleep... anything like this ever happen to your macbooks?

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
My optical drive never really acts up, and it likes disks of all sorts. However, the thing that scared me was when the CD refused to eject. I was freaking out, and I tried the eject button again and again, but the thing stayed stuck in there. Then, I figured out that there was a program using the disk, and that was why it would not come out. This was a false alarm, but then how do you get the CD out if it physically sticks inside the computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.