MacBook optical drive sound

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by john2006wright, Jun 26, 2008.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

Hi. I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 1yr old MacBook and every time I open the lid after it has been asleep, it makes a weird noise from the optical drive. I guess its just checking to see if there is anything in there but it makes opening my MacBook in class a little obvious (when I should be reading and not checking email). Is there any way to stop my MacBook doing this??

Thanks
    john

2. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Oddly enough they all do this... don't ask me why. I think it's pretty ridiculous.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

4. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

apologies for not checking the forums, i was searching for a thread that explained a way of stoping the MacBook doing that sound eveytime its opened. Does anyone know if its possible. Its not a big deal, I'm just curious. These forums are fantatsic for providing solutions to almost every concievable question.

thanks
    john

p.s. O inkow the sound is normal, I just want to know if I can stop it. I know you can stop the start up sound so I was wondering if there was a similar thing for the optical drive check.

5. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

yeah, everytime you turn it on or open it, it just looks for a disc in the drive. Thats all. Def. normal.

6. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

solution?

I know its normal, I would like to know if there is a way to stop it?

Thanks,
    John

7. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Having a disk in the drive would reduce it significantly... perhaps a blank CD-R?

8. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No way to stop and maybe you should be reading?

10. bradfordw89 macrumors newbie

I'm wondering about this too. Does anyone know how to maybe disable the drive or something?

Putting a CD in the drive makes it like 50 times worse because then it actually spins the disc to read what's on it, and it sounds like you're trying to start a lawnmower in the back of class.