MacBook optical drive troubles

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by falconsfan7, Nov 21, 2008.

1. falconsfan7 macrumors newbie

I've run into difficulties with my aluminum MacBook's optical drive and thought I'd turn here before sending it off.

A transformer on my campus blew up on Thursday, which (apparently) caused a power surge that caused my optical drive to stop accepting discs. I called Apple on Thursday and was told to reset the PRAM, I believe (option + command + P + R), which fixed the problem intermittently.

The problem has cropped up again now, however, and neither resetting the PRAM nor other settings (I'm not sure which settings, but I had to remove the MagSafe and battery before holding the power button down for 10 seconds, I assume it was some sort of power settings) have borne any fruit.

My drive "whirrs," quiets, "whirrs" again, goes quiet, and then "whirrs" for a third time before ejecting the disc.

Does anyone have any ideas? I appreciate your input and assistance.

2. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

It may be wise to follow it up with Applecare on each progress, given power surge damages may be serious. You never know to what extent the damage it. Since it's well under warranty, I would definitely get them to fix it to your satisfaction.

3. falconsfan7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a reservation tomorrow at my local store, so we'll see how that goes.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Am I missing something here ?

Does Apple's warranty cover damage by power surges ?

Why ?

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I concur...

How is that Apple's fault? :confused: