Macbook options for me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Snowguy, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Snowguy macrumors member

I've been lurking on these forums for a while and finally registered. I've been a loyal Mac user for 5 years. I bought a 17" flatpanel iMac G4 in the spring of '04 and that served me loyally until I upgraded in January '08 to a 20" 2.4ghz C2D with 4gb ram and a 300gb hdd.

I've been thinking... since I like to be on top of things (though it's nice owning a Mac and being able to have nicely functioning computers that last longer) that I'll probably be getting a new computer within the next year.

I could take two paths:

1-- Since I don't travel all that much and don't need a computer for work, I get more bang for my buck on desktops and the iMac is a great value. I could wait for the next updates on the iMac and then buy it.

or

2-- I would still love to have a laptop just so I can lay on the couch with it or take it somewhere when I do travel. I was thinking of getting either a lower end Macbook pro or a higher end Macbook and then replacing the iMac later on, effectively having two computers on a staggered cycle.

Is it worth having a desktop as your anchor computer with better graphics for more serious stuff and having the laptop for general lazy-rot-your-brain-on-macrumors-from-your-bed stuff?

Or would you forego the expense of a MacBook and just save for a new iMac?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have a iMac as my main computer and a MacBook for doing just what you described. The MacBook is about 1 1/2 years older, although there's no rhyme or reason for that. And yes, it's a setup that works great for me.

3. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

I have a MacBook and an iMac just for those same reasons, iMac for doing the serious work with no distractions and the MacBook for surfing the web on the couch.

4. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

If you only want a laptop for browsing the internet, why not just get a $299 netbook? What's the point of needlessly spending $1,500+?

5. Snowguy thread starter macrumors member

Hopeless devotion to a brand?

:)

In all seriousness, I'd rather be on one platform if possible. Also, I'd probably be selling the Macbook when it was time for a new one anyway, so I'd be making some of that $1500 back.

I am considering a netbook, though.. maybe one of the bigger ones. Thanks for the replies...

6. txnoob macrumors 6502

If that's how you work OP, I would get a refurb or previous gen iMac and nice used G4 iBook or PB for your couch surfing. I much rather prefer to have the more powerful desktop.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Because the screen is tiny. Miniscule. Small. Makes me squint. For 'desktop' use, you could just add a external display but for on the couch, you need a minimum of 13".

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Possibly my favorite Mac ever. Such a great machine...

I would go for #1. Working on 2 machines creates an annoying syncing problem that usually takes up more time than it's worth, especially if you don't need to travel much. With the extra money you won't spend on a second machine, buy yourself a nice comfortable chair or something :)

As someone mentioned before you could just get a netbook. Or if you really don't need anything spectacular, wait until the back-to-school promotion (are you eligible?) and get the iPod Touch.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I second on the used 12" g4 ibook or powerbook. I've got a 12" powerbook for the couch surfing (make sure you max the ram out) and it works quite well for that purpose.

If your current iMac is doing the job for you now, why bother getting a new one?

10. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Sounds like you need an Air to partner your iMac its a great setup for just watching movies and surfing on the couch!

11. IrishSniper87 macrumors regular

You already have a solid C2D iMac, so I would buy a refurb MacBook 2.4 and use that for travel and couch work.

I have an old PC hooked up to a 19' monitor and I dual screen them, but the PC is a little messed up and the battery is shot, so it is essentally a desktop now.

I want to get a refurb 2.4 macbook and then buy the adaptar so I can possibly retire the old Acer or at least hook up the macbook to the 19' when I'm at my desk but still be able to use it on the couch or whatever.

I'm not crazy about a 13' screen, but I guess I can deal. I think if I get the MacBook now, I can buy an iMac someday, if I feel a true desktop would be useful.

Honestly, a 2.4 C2D and an external monitor essentially means I have a great desktop option and a great portability option, so it's hard so say that if you have an external monitor, that you would even have use for a true desktop.