Macbook or 13" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by modelbehaviour, Mar 19, 2010.

1. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

What are the main differences between these two computers, apart from the looks obviously? They're fairly similar in price and I'm unsure which to buy. I thought it'd be the graphics card but I looked and they're the same - I generally only use my laptop for the internet, doing work and watching tv but I'd like to be able to play some 3D games (like Sims 3, sad I know!). Can anyone help me out? :confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

The main difference is that the macbook has a plastic case, a rubber-like bottom, and a better power adaptor, a bigger hard drive, and no double layer of glass on the display.

The macbook pro has a metal enclosure, a firewire port, sd card, infrared receiver, a backlit keyboard, and smaller hard drive. The pro also has an extra layer of glass covering the screen. Some people like this. I personally don't like it, but it's not a huge problem.

4. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Having used a backlit keyboard for the last sixteen months, there's no way I could ever go back to a laptop without that feature. Also, my sister has the older, white MacBook, while I have the first generation aluminium, unibody MacBook and I can tell you that the aluminium is just so much nicer. Well, for me at least. It's much more professional looking.

5. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

If you have a choice,get the MBP,as the MBP as firewire 800,a SD card reader,and a backlit keyboard,and it's made of aluminum which is a lot nicer and more durable,I'm selling my unibody MB and using graduation money and getting the high end 13" MBP.

6. halisray macrumors regular

the MBP only comes with 160gb HDD unless you want to get the $1599 MBP for 250gb HDD... the white unibody comes with a 250gb HDD already.. its only missing an SD and firewire slot.. i personally dont need those slots that why I bought the unibody and I love it.

7. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Ah, but what about the beautiful aluminium enclosure and the backlit keyboard, then? Those things, like the FireWire port and SD-card slot, can't be added or upgraded later. The hard drive can. I'd much rather get the MacBook Pro.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Don't forget the better display and the infrared port on the MBP.

9. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Good points! Unless you're really short on cash, I see no reason to go for the MacBook. But then again, if you're really short on cash, I don't see how you could go for a Mac anyway. :eek:

10. gerabbi macrumors regular

11. modelbehaviour thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone! I already have a white macbook which is almost 2 1/2 years old, so theres no way I could go back to not having a mac anymore! Whichever one I get I'd customise it to have a 4GB ram and 250GB hard drive and with the educational discount there's just over £120 difference between the two (the MBP being £894.18). The main feature attracting me to the MBP is the backlit keyboard, but I think I prefer the look of the white one, though maybe it's because it's what I'm used to. I am however worried about the edges cracking on the MB like they have on the one I've got now!

12. Skippy440 macrumors member

Skippy440

There have been several forums for the "cracking issue" you mention.
    From feedback from others, as well as my own experience, I won't worry about cracking of the plastic unless your rough or drop the laptop. The new Unibody MB seems to be less prone to cracking.

13. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Yes, the cracking issue was with the older model MB's. I have an 07 model, and it cracked along the edge. Apple replaced it at no charge. Took about 20 minutes.

If I had the choice now, I'd go with the MBP. I just like the looks better. I'd go with the larger drive, and put in my own RAM. Plus the backlit KB is nice. Looks wise, I just like the Aluminum. It's clean looking, and sleek [to me]. Plus it's a little more rugged.