MacBook or a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fstigre, Dec 3, 2008.

1. fstigre macrumors regular

fstigre

Hi,
    This is my first post in this forum so please go easy on me. I’m currently thinking to buy a new mac and I’m debating between a MacBook or a MacBook Pro and of course I’m thinking to go with the MacBook just because the price.

I would like to know what are the things I will be limited to if I go with MacBook?. What are the things I won't be able to do?

I’m planning on running Photoshop, Flash, Fireworks CS4 etc… on it.

I appreciate any comments.
    Thanks
    Fstigre

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Get an aluminium MacBook - It is plenty for your needs. :)

3. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Macbook would o just fine, no real limitations , but for worse screen quality when compared to Macbook Pro!

4. six.four macrumors 6502

For the things you do (and when money is of concern) the macbook suits you just fine.

I would, however, suggest looking into the previous gen MBP's (early 2008 revision, which are IMO in many ways superior to the unibody MBP). They would cost around the same as the new unibody MBPs and in my opinion, presents a better value.

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

If you don't mind a problematic video card and want a Mac that is scraps of aluminum instead of a solid brick, sure get the old MBP...

If it were my money, I would get the MB. And that is what you asked... everyone here wants to suggest something people are not asking for and is old technology. I don't get why anyone would want it other than based on price.

The new MB and MBP are amazing engineering marvels. They are literally "bricks" of aluminum instead of scraps of aluminum wrapped around a tiny frame. The new MacBook line is sturdy and has faster RAM. It has an awesome glass display and glass trackpad... The trackpad alone is worth the upgrade. I didn't know how much I liked that glass trackpad until I had to do without for a day recently.

I bought the MB 2.4 GHz. The difference in CPU is only 20%, and if you are like many of us, you will want to upgrade the HDD to a 7200 RPM so the main reason you would want the higher end MB line would be 2.4 GHz instead of 2 GHz CPU and illuminated keyboard. If you are happy with the 5400 RPM HDD, the low-end MB has 160 GB and the high-end MB has 250 GB models.

If you want to play games, get the MBP or if you absolutely have to have firewire. And lastly, the screen real estate is supposedly better on the MBP and is two inches larger diagonally.

Best wishes whichever way you go... and congrats.

6. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

First of all thank you all for your suggestions. Now, someone suggested the old generation MBP, is this still a good machine even if it can only be upgraded to 2gb of ram max.

How about the old 2.4 MacBook generation is this an option for what I’m planning to use it on (flash, photoshop etc.)?

Thanks

7. darshan macrumors member

old macbooks are out of the question really... just because they r significantly inferior to anything out in the market (atleat in terms of apple products, IMO)

macbook pro older gen is a really good buy

pros
    GREAT PRODUCT
    GREAT 15 inch SCREEN (better then even the latest macbook)

cons
    PSYCOLOGICAL feeling of having something from previous gen

if u can live with the con buy the macbook pro

the new macbooks do feel sturdier... but macbook pro isnt any less sturdy (i just wnted to put it out there)

8. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

Apple MacBook Pro MA600LL/A 15.4" Laptop (2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive)

Is the above machine an option? Is it a good machine? Is it old? Is it better (faster) than the old 2.4 macbook generation? GainSaver offer some of these machines for as low as $889 is this something I should be considering.

http://www.gainsaver.com/Catalog/List.aspx?CCode=1015^Apple&CCode=2139^Macbook+Pro

Thanks

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

While I'm a big fan of refurb MBPs, I think the specs you mention here are a bit too old for your needs. Those are specs of a few years ago; the refurb models I am referring to are early/mid 2008/late 2007 and come with 120-160 HDD, and 2 GB RAM, which is upgradeable. The most recent past generation MBP has 2 GB RAM, and that really does make a difference in terms of what you can do with it. Likewise, I'm not sure that 80GB HDD would be entirely adequate for today's needs; the smaller classic iPod has exactly that memory.

Go for a refurb MBP that has been made in the past year or 18 months, and you'll get the Apple warranty, a very competitive price, and a superb screen. If anything goes wrong with it, you are still covered. In any case, I have a MBP I bought earlier this year, and I'm very happy with it.
    Yes, the new models are very attractive, but I'm not crazy on glossy, nor am I that keen on the new touchpads.

Cheers and good luck

10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I wouldn't even think about that. It doesn't even have a Core 2 Duo processor. Which Snow Leopard, when out early next year, will take advantage of.

You would really be going backwards from your original question too.

Stick with the new aluminum MacBook. It's a wonderful machine.

11. djkny macrumors 6502

1. Problematic video card was addressed with a) 2 year warranty extension; b) Fall 2008 (week 40+) builds that have seen no problems.

2. Glass screen, by many accounts, is cheaper, not to mention the nasty glare, poor reference for true color correction etc. That applies to both the new MB and the MBP's;

3. FW 400 ditched completely on new MBP's; new firewire port (manufacturing) on new MBP's inferior to previous gen's.

4. Keyboard on new MBP? eh...

5. There are closeout deals at *certain* university computer stores selling the old MBP's for roughly $1100. That KILLS spending an extra $800 for the engineering marvels...

12. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

It can definitely register more than 2GB. It can easily (and much more cheaply) be upgraded to 4GB by a third party because it uses DDR2 RAM rather than the more expensive DDR3 RAM. That being said, I love my new MB.

13. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

Hi,

First of all thank you all for your comments. Just to let you know that I went with a MacBook 2.4 old generation (price was an issue) and let me tell you this thing flies I’m very happy. It is fast, fast.

Thanks