MacBook or Air for student

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by edhchoe1, Aug 26, 2016.

1. edhchoe1 macrumors newbie

My 7th grade child wants a notebook. She doesn't play computer games.
    It will be mainly used for the usual light duties.. YouTube, Netflix, email, facetime, photo editing for SNS, typing reports, etc.
    I am hoping she will be able to use it until she goes to college.
    What would you recommend?
    Fortunately, she wants a silver one.

Thanks in advance.

2. t.portis macrumors member

t.portis

Depending on your financial situation, I would probably go with the smallest Macbook Air, but realize that it won't likely last until college. This is what I recommend for my friend's and coworker's children when asked. They tell me stories of backpacks tossed around, regular drops and iPhones that don't make it a year without being damaged.

To me the Macbook is the better computer, I traded the Macbook Air in for it. The screen and the light size make it perfect for carrying around everywhere. I'm in offices and the front of classrooms, though, and can always have it as safe as possible.

3. Ulenspiegel, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

@edhchoe1
    I would ask her what's her preference. Most probably she already knows, like the colour as you have mentioned.
    I agree w/ t.portis, the MacBook Air is perfect for the purposes you indicated. Thin, light, up to 12 hours of battery life, MagSafe (important in case of kids), ports etc.
    Good luck!

4. edhchoe1 thread starter macrumors newbie

We came home with a MacBook Air 13" w/ 256gb storage.
    She preferred the slick design of MacBook but the 480mp camera which looked grainy on facetime was the deal breaker for her.
    And she was assured that there is 14 day return policy so if she doesn't like this one she can return it for a MacBook. But I doubt she will return the MacBook Air.
    Thank you all for input. I think the magsafe is pretty cool.

5. t.portis macrumors member

t.portis

That's the laptop my wife (a professor) has and she loves it. Macbook Air is a great laptop and I would still be using it if not for the non-retina screen (hard on my eyes).