Macbook or Charger Issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JHuh1989, Aug 10, 2012.

1. JHuh1989 macrumors newbie

Hi all-

Happy Friday! Currently I have a 2008 Unibody Macbook. The other day my charger was acting a little odd as the green light would not turn on when attached to the Mac or I'd have to plug it in a few times before it would work.

At the moment my assumption is the charger has simply broken and I should get a new one. However, since replacements go for about $80, I wanted to know if there are any indicators that I should look for that would help confirm it is infact the charger being broken or the Macbook itself could cause the green light to not turn on/not recognizing the charger.

I did push the little button on the side of the mac and a single green light flashed (when the computer is on, many green lights typically come on).

I also did an SMC reset with about 8% battery left hoping this would resolve the issue but the Mac would not turn on after (which is why I have a few reservations on what the true issue at hand could be).

Thanks for any help and advice I really do appreciate it.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try a different charger (ask a friend) or a different Macbook.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have another MagSafe adapter available, try it to see if it works. You could also go to a nearby Apple store and ask to try a charger.

See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You could always go to the Apple store and see if they'd plug in your Macbook into one of their chargers to double check. ;)